Pre boil grav

Now curius. About pre boil grav. And original grav. Whats the difference. Me aim for. For. Orginal grav at end of boil. But take a preboil grav reading as well

That depends on the boil… Vigorous, and you can gain as much as 10-12 points… Sneezles61
I used to look at that piece of the puzzle, but don’t pay attention now… Using that grain bill equation I figured out, really gives me my answer…

1 Like

Pre boil gravity is necessary to calculate mash efficiency. If you care about numbers…

1 Like

I just look at the finished product efficiency… Therefore on a piece of paper I can build what I want… I know my system quite well and its very dependable… Sneezles61

I like numbers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Same. I’ve even found myself embracing algebra thanks to this hobby…

Nope. If I hit my OG I don’t really care about my mash efficiency. Plus if you know your system and hit your numbers then your pre boil OG should be close. I hate math.

Yea I hear ya. Same here. Plenty of brew days I haven’t measured pH or taken any gravity readings at all. Followed my process and the beers turned out great. Consistent with past brewings even.

If one is a fail I like having all the data to go back and figure out why. Besides it only takes a few ounces of wort. I actually measure and record first runnings gravity as well. Maybe I’m anal.

1 Like

I always take my preboil SG. The mash efficiency is easy to figure from that, but the real reason is to figure out if I’m going to need to add some DME to hit my predicted OG.
But, I am obsessive about recording everything, even on recipes that I’ve done for years.

1 Like

Alright, so today is a brew day with a new grain bill from my mentor … I’ve done my math, and have the gravity figured… I’ll measure the final as I go into the fermenter … Testing myself… We’re doing a winter warmer dark wheat… 15 gallon batch, set. ABV @ 6.9%… Im straying from my path!! Sneezles61

1 Like

Me brewing a tripplel at the BREWERY recipy all worked out on paper. Og 1.075

When I taught algebra I had a difficult time not explaining to the kid in back who asked, “When are we ever going to use this stuff?” that it was essential to brewing beer.

And when I taught computer science I had to convince kids that if they couldn’t calculate it with a pencil and paper, they probably wouldn’t be able to do it with a computer!

3 Likes

Me love to do math bye paper and pen than compare with software if i did right. Did not use math for long time. But now i moved to allgrain love this

This explains a lot for me.

1 Like