Post brew yeast usage?

What can be done with post brew yeast? I usually throw that on the lawn as I have read somewhere that its beneficial for plants, I am hesitant to throw it in my garden as I don’t want to damage my plants without having more info. Also, post boil I have this sludge in the bottom of my wort kettle and Does anyone have any experience in using yeast/wort sludge for any other purpose? I typically just splash the wort sludge on the grass as well and haven’t noticed anything positive or negative thus far.

Thanks,

T

Re-pitch it!!
Best use is to use it for your next brew. :shock:
I find that yeasts usually perform better the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around (or even more).

Ditto the above. Not to mention the cost savings of buying new yeast and the amount of time and effort of making a starter.

REPITCH!!

so do you leave it in the bucket after going to secondary and have another batch ready to dump on top?

You can, or pour into sanitized jars and store in the fridge. It can be split for 2 or 3 brews.

10/4 I have a dead ringer in one bucket and a St Paul porter in the other, which one would be better for an Irish Red that I have next?

I have a similar question: does anyone know what I do with all this useless beer in my fridge? I normally just feed it to my donkeys. They seem to love it.

Well jeeze, I’m sure you could send it to me( and maybe ten thousand other forum users). :lol:

Do you have to force feed your ass(es), or do they take it willingly?

Sorry, just saw that they love it.

Do a quick “yeast wash” or “re-use yeast” Internet search and you will find a number of good videos and instructions. It’s a nice way to expand your skills and extend your cash.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... posed.html

After reading the above link, you might reconsider “washing”.

Dumping it on your garden/flower beds/lawn is a good thing.

Even pouring it into a septic tank. My uncle, who lives on a farm, routinely adds yeast to the house drain.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Woodland Brewing Research: Yeast Washing Exposed

After reading the above link, you might reconsider “washing”.

Dumping it on your garden/flower beds/lawn is a good thing.

Even pouring it into a septic tank. My uncle, who lives on a farm, routinely adds yeast to the house drain.[/quote]

Great read, thanks for the link! Ill keep tossing the trub on the lawn and start washing my yeast.

You can also save some and throw it in the boil of your next batch for nutrient for the fresh yeast.

Assuming you used the dry yeast option on both kits, then it’s that same yeast. US-05 in both.

In that case, get the yeast intended for the Irish Red. It’s part of the flavor profile.

Trub is mostly coagulated protein, it will compost although when you throw it on the compost pile you might draw some insects/critters. I wouldn’t spread it on the garden for this reason, although after harvest it would be fine.