Portland OR.

‘Jons market’ off of ‘multnoma blvd’ has a crazy huge beer selection. might be worth checking out

:cheers:

My favorites are Hopworks Urban Brewery, Hair of the Dog, Cascade and Amnesia. You can find macro-brews like Bridgeport, Deschutes, Rock Bottom, McMenemans, Full Sail, etc. at any store on the west coast and probably any specialty stores on the east coast. Id stick with straight Portland Microbrews. Lucky Labrador wasnt bad either but I havent been there in years.

I’ve found that most of the beers in Full Sail’s Pilsner Room aren’t available elsewhere.

+1 on Lucky Lab. I live a few blocks from the Beer Hall. I have never been disappointed in anything they have produced.

The OP lives in SE Pennsylvania, I think its assuming a lot to think that Deschutes, Full Sail and Rogue products are readily available to him. They all three make excellent beers worth tasting while he is here, along with the other breweries mentioned. To the OP, here is a useful tool that may help you use your time most efficiently: www.beermapping.com.

green dragon, widmer, rogue, there’s got to be about a dozen breweries around downtown. just get a map and hop on the max train, you’ll be within walking distance of most of them
try this:

http://www.portlandbeer.org/brewerymap/

Resurrecting this thread as I’ll be in town for a couple of days next week and will have just a few precious hours to get around. Will be staying in what looks to be “downtown”; planning on Hair of the Dog, which should be just over a half mile away, possibly Deschutes as well. Any decent bottle shops in that area? New recommendations on breweries/brewpubs close by?

My wife and I went to McMenamin’s Edgefield. I had a blast. Also stopped at Deschuttes.

Hoping to do the same this summer.

I work at McMenamins right now and I’ll let you in on a secret: they have almost 60 locations in Oregon (one in Vancouver I believe) so don’t just go to any old McM if you do. But you probably shouldn’t because they’re beer is at best pretty good and in Portland that’s not good enough. Definitely hit up the Green Dragon (over 50 beers on tap and all of them are harder to find) and then walk two blocks down the street to Cascade Barrel House house of sour ales. Their food is overpriced and mediocre but their sours are incredible.

deschutes in portland is a must see. their brew system is pretty awesome. someone mentioned the cascade barrelhouse, which has incredible sours.

for bottle shops, johns marketplace has the best selection around. it’s on multnomah blvd, about 10-15 minutes from downtown.

http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/

I think a lot of the advice previously given remains true. If you are definitely planning on walking to Hair of the Dog, Cascade Barrel House, the Green Dragon, and the Lucky Lab are all easy walks from there. You could even do a loop walking across the Morrison Bridge to Hair of the Dog, then to those other locations and return downtown via the Hawthorne Bridge. A short walk south along the waterfront from there brings you to Full Sails Riverplace tavern, recommended by Denny earlier in the thread.

Another option downtown is Bailey’s Taproom on SW Broadway. They have a good selection of NW beers on tap and in bottles. I’m assuming that you can get the bigger producers like Rogue, Deschutes and Bridgeport in SLC, but if not there pubs in NW Portland are easy to walk or streetcar to from downtown. If you are heading in that direction, you could also use the street car to get near to the Lucky Lab’s beer hall on NW 18th and Pettygrove and the Laurelwood just off NW 23rd on Kearney.

With our embarrassment of riches its hard to make recommendations without knowing more about what interests you. If you can, let us know and we can make better suggestions.

Should have added this: http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=portlandor

Also, if you are interested in something a mite stiffer, Distillery Row, http://www.distilleryrowpdx.com/ could be part of that Hair of the Dog - Cascade Barrel House - Green Dragon - Lucky Lab loop I mentioned early.

Piggy-Backing on this about 160 miles to the southeast…The wife and I, along with some friends/family are heading to Bend, Oregon next weekend. We plan on hitting all breweries on the Bend Ale Trail. Any suggestions on some “do-not-miss” beers?

I wish I could be helpful. Work and family has kept me close to Portland and I haven’t been in Bend in several years. Should be a wonderful trip though, I am very very jealous.

There are two in Vancouver. I haven’t been to the east side one, but the other one has a fantastic view of the Columbia.
McMenamins on broadway was were I had my first craft beer and will always hold a place in my heart.

Also, skip voodoo doughnuts. Not worth it. If you go to Rogue’s taphouse here it’s worth noting that their Portland site is also their distillery and they make quite possibly the best gin I’ve ever had (also make excellent whiskeys, rums, and a pink gin that’s good too). Trust everyone’s advice and hit up John’s Marketplace. One of the largest collections of bottled beers I’ve ever seen. Commons Brewery is a newer place, but it’s just a taproom and their hours are limited; they specialize in farmhouse ales. If you’re up to the trip to Hillsboro check out Main Street Brew Supply it’s a fantastic LHBS with real cool guys and they do a tasting every Thursday night that’s usually a “Meet the Brewer” session. So much beer culture here!

Be sure to check out “Worthy Brewing”. They’ve only been open for a month so they might not be on the “Ale Trail” map yet.
Some great special offerings going right now, ‘10 Barrels’ Rye-it IPA and Doppelbock are epic.(eat there) ‘Bend Brewing’ Outback X. ‘Crux’ makes the best Belgians and pilsners around. Make sure you try as many of ‘Boneyard Brewing’ beers as possible. The Deschutes tour is free, fun, and you get 4 free 4 oz tastings.
:cheers:

Boneyard Hop Venom definitely goes in the category of do not miss beers if you’re a fan of the double IPA. Make sure to fill a growler with it.

The brewery looks like a motorcycle garage. Best beer anywhere.