Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Porter time and looking for input

Almost done drinking a keg of bourbon barrel porter I made and plan on doing a double batch on New Year’s Day weather permitting. Some ideas I had were besides a repeat of th BBP, rum barrel, smoked maple, or maybe rum raisin. What are some of your favorites.

I did NB’s rebel rye porter that was pretty good. I want to brew it again using a bit less rye whiskey than before. It was just a little too boozy.

I did the bourbon barrel with 1oz. chips 8oz bourbon. It was good but maybe a little more the next time. But now I’m wondering if 16 oz will be to much. Maybe split the difference .

I was thinking make my porter and then add some maple syrup at the end of the boil. I have a pint of nice dark smokey syrup left from sugaring last spring. Then at kegging I will add 8oz of lafroug scotch.

I would be wary of adding some pricey maple syrup without knowing if it will have any noticable flavor impact on a beer. With so many roasty flavors in a porter, I would think you’d need an awful lot to even have a noticeable effect. Though I’ve never tried it so I could be way off here, just kind of a gut feeling.

I make my own so its no boggy. I was also thinking about using some sap instead of water come spring.not sure if I could mash with it though

Well I suppose you could call me boring but I’m a purist and I just love Fuller’s London Porter so I’m big on the clone recipe that you can find easily floating around on the internet. I do however boil down some of the first runnings to jack up the carmel in the background and I pray for just a touch of diacetyl from the yeast; I swear it’s the official beer up there in heaven. :smiley:

Some British porters are brewed with treacle, so I decided to put a pound of molasses in my next porter. My recipe is very similar to Fuller’s which I also like.

Here’s the recipe if you’re interested:

Recipe: Hey Porter II
Brewer: Danny Clarke
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 7.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.93 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 30.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.3 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 Grain 3 11.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
2.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 1.1 %
1.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 25.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 11.7 IBUs
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 10 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB - Danny’s
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 6.0 oz

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Add 21.49 qt of water at 165.2 F 154.0 F 60 min
Sparge Add 10.32 qt of water at 201.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Thanks I like fullers also. And Danny I love the taste of molasses so I may try your recipe. Is it your own concoction, and when do you add the molasses?

It’s mine. Started out as a version of Anchor Porter. It was boring so I added the a few different malts, the molasses and changed the yeast. If i kill a keg before brea day I’ll keg my ESB and rack this Porter onto the 1968 cake. Otherwise I’ll brew it as written with 1469 slurry I have.

I’m thinking I’ll add the molasses at flameout. Someone told me about a guy who makes molasses just over the mountain from me. Haven’t tracked him down yet. Would be really cool if I could get some local made.

Local homemade molasses sounds awesome.

Brewcat- Can you send me some maple syrup? :wink: Just kidding. But I would agree to add it toward the end of fermentation, or even as priming sugar if you want to retain any maple character.
I’ve thought about using sap instead of water in the mash but who knows what the electrolyte picture would be. It’s still interesting- maybe substitute for the water in an extract batch?
If you are interested, I’ve been refining my porter recipe and I think I’ve got it perfect- at least for me. Here’s a link on brewtoad: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/loghou … orter-2014.
Good Luck with whatever you go with!

I havnt used honey yet but that sounds like an interesting recipe? Wondering why you mash at the temps you do. I go a little higher around 156 and sparge at 170. You think it makes a big difference? Might trade the maple syrup for some homemade molasses. Can’t grow cane this far north but maybe Danny can in Virginia.

I just tried some coffee malt in my latest porter. I had never used the malt before, so went light (4 oz in 11.75 lb grain bill). The beer finishes with just a hint of coffee flavor. It’s pretty nice.

153* is my sort of compromise mashtemp. If I want a dry pale ale or IPA, I tend to go down to 145-147* If I want a malty base, I shoot for 155-157*. In this case I wanted something in between.
Does it make a huge deal? Probably not.
The name of the recipe was inspired by the ‘Whitehouse Porter’, but the recipe is my own- for good or bad. Being an ex-hippy-want-to-be, I tend to use honey any time a recipe calls for a simple sugar. Or if my OG runs low and I need to bump it up. I usually have a pound or two on hand just-in-case.

I used to keep bees and always had honey. But not anymore. Do you have a preferred type of honey? I’ll bet it makes a difference.

Okay this is where I’m going unless someone stops me. Doing a double mash similar to Danny’s with some subtle changes mash at 154. First pot “maple wood porter” will get the 16 oz of maple syrup at the end of the boil then smokey scotch soaked on oak cubes before bottling. The second pot “rum ball porter” will get a jar of molasses at the end of the boil and then black seal rum soaked on oak cubes before bottling. Notty for the yeast.

Black seal…brilliant! Rum porter sounds good.

WHY IS THE RUM GONE??

Dannyboy, an interesting fact I recently discovered: Fuller’s is a brown porter, not a “robust.” It’s heaven, on cask.

I had actually heard that too but I entered this beer in a comp to get some feedback on it and it was off the charts for a brown porter, so I called it a robust porter to put it smack in the middle of the style guides 8)

edited to add:

Which reminds me, the recipe above is designed on 80% efficiency in case anyone wants to brew it. :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com