Porter ideas

So I’ve been thinking about brewing a porter. I haven’t started putting together a recipe yet. Any one out there have a porter that they have brewed and love? Ive never done a porter and I think I’d like to have one on hand. Any suggestions or inspiration would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, you can go a number of different ways with a porter so I guess it all depends on what type of porter you want. You can go real simple and smaller with a nice brown porter or up the flavor a little bit and end up with a robust porter or you can go crazy with something like Denny’s Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter. If I remember correctly from a few years ago Norther Brewer’s St. Paul Porter and their Baltic Porter were both pretty good kits. Since you’re on their forum you might as well start with one of those guys.

Well I guess that makes sense.

I did a version of Denny’s Nick Danger Porter that I really liked. My only changes were to make it a little smaller (1.065 OG instead of the recommended 1.072 to get it closer to a session beer so folks could throw back a couple), and I also used the only yeast cake I had on hand, which was actually a White Koelsch yeast that I imagined would turn out pretty clean (sadly, my LHBS stopped special ordering WY yeast for me, so I had no good source for the 1450, although I’m sure it would have been really nice.

I really, really like this brew and so did everyone else I served it too. If I made it again, I’d definitely try to get the WY1450, which is a great yeast, but it was quite good as it was.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105253&p=930890&hilit=nick+danger+porter#p930890

The Edmund Fitzgerald clone is a regular for me. Great robust porter that you can’t go wrong with.

Which recipe do you use for the Edmond Fitz?

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
IBU: 37
SRM: 34
ABV: ~5.8%

11 lbs 2 row
12 oz C60
8 oz chocolate
8 oz roasted barley

9 AAU (1 oz 9%) Northern Brewer 60 minutes
2.4 AAU(.5 oz 4.75%) Fuggle 30 minutes
2.9 AAU (.5 oz 5.75%) Cascade 0 minutes/KO

London Ale yeast (I have subbed other British Yeasts and think this is best as it leaves a mild mineral taste to beer, which is nice in the style and this recipe in particular)

[quote=“mlsouth”]OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
IBU: 37
SRM: 34
ABV: ~5.8%

11 lbs 2 row
12 oz C60
8 oz chocolate
8 oz roasted barley

9 AAU (1 oz 9%) Northern Brewer 60 minutes
2.4 AAU(.5 oz 4.75%) Fuggle 30 minutes
2.9 AAU (.5 oz 5.75%) Cascade 0 minutes/KO

Is that the OG that you got? What was the mash schedule? Looks yummy.

London Ale yeast (I have subbed other British Yeasts and think this is best as it leaves a mild mineral taste to beer, which is nice in the style and this recipe in particular)[/quote]

that is what is listed in magazine. I adjust percentages to meet my expected OG. I dont remember if that amount is 70 or 75% efficiency. If you have a mash program you can check, if not I can run the numbers for you real quick based on your normal %.