Popped Wyeast Pack

So I just smacked my yeast pack, aparrently harder than necessary, and a small hole popped open in the pack. Is it possible to save this pack?

I would stick in inside a 1 gallon ziplock bag.

IMO you can consider the bag sanitary. We put food in them all the time without worries.

You could try to suck the air out of the bag and seal it. If may show a little inflation that way. But don’t be to concerned about it.

If you are making a starter, just add it to the starter now.

Yes, you’ll be fine. I made the cali common kit last year, and whacked the heck out of the pack, and blew the seam in the top. Beer still turned out fine.

I remember when smacking that one I had trapped the inside pouch against the inside top of the outer foil pouch on the countertop, then when whacking it caused it to fail. Now when I smack them I try to get the inner pack more centered in the pack, and maybe not hit it so hard.

[quote=“twdjr1”]Yes, you’ll be fine. I made the cali common kit last year, and whacked the heck out of the pack, and blew the seam in the top. Beer still turned out fine.

I remember when smacking that one I had trapped the inside pouch against the inside top of the outer foil pouch on the countertop, then when whacking it caused it to fail. Now when I smack them I try to get the inner pack more centered in the pack, and maybe not hit it so hard.[/quote]

When I use Wyeast I locate the inner pouch by feel, herd it to the corner, and gently squeeze it until it pops, works just as good as smacking it and no chance of blowing the seam.

Did you get it from NB? If so, contact customer service and they’ll replace it. That’s the best course of action. I personally wouldn’t use a ruptured pack, but you probably could without too much harm.

This is not a HBS/manufacture issue. The pack was intact when he received it.

This is not a HBS/manufacture issue. The pack was intact when he received it.[/quote]

Right, but it’s a defective product, which NB will replace. I know it isn’t the HBS’ fault.

This is not a HBS/manufacture issue. The pack was intact when he received it.[/quote]

Right, but it’s a defective product, which NB will replace. I know it isn’t the HBS’ fault.[/quote]

So when I over inflate a bicycle tire or pinch it and pop it, the bike store should give me a replacement tube and new tire? :roll:

There was/is nothing wrong with the yeast when this happens. Dump it in a starter and make some beer.

I ruptured one once a couple years ago. I contacted Midwest customer service and they sent a new one.

Do you sue McDonalds when your groin gets burned after you spill your coffee?