Pop ups, on the board

Have not visited since last week, and they weren’t there then, then today, these strange ads are popping in from the lower right side of the screen!
Not happening on any other sites.
In case you were wondering, it’s on my P C, Windows XP I think it is, and Firefox is my browser…

Some annoying sh…tuff!

On the information dirt road here, and not a clue on how to make it go away!

It’s a browser toolbar thing, can’t remember what it’s called, but look through your installed software and you’ll find it either listed as a browser add-on or as software that can be uninstalled.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try…danged computers! :smiley:

I’m guessin’ here…I should look in “My computer”, or “All programs”?

You could try the free version of Malwarebites and see if it corrects your issue.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_ ... MgodgQsA4w

If you are using V. 21 of Firefox you can find the add-ons/extensions by clicking on the Firefox drop down in the upper left corner. Then Add-Ons.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]You could try the free version of Malwarebites and see if it corrects your issue.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_ ... MgodgQsA4w

If you are using V. 21 of Firefox you can find the add-ons/extensions by clicking on the Firefox drop down in the upper left corner. Then Add-Ons.[/quote]

Thanks, Brother…I have anti Malwarebites on my computer, and I looked under “tools” in Firefox under “add-ons/extensions”, and did not see it listed there.

I clicked on “add info” on one of the pop-ups, and it’s known as “OpenApp” something or other, and surprisingly, they give you instructions on how to remove the crap for all matter of operating systems…Looked at them all, and saw nothing referring to “OpenApp” crap.

Still looking, and any other insights would be greatly appreciated!

I think this is the key here…

“If you no longer wish to see OpenApp Media advertisements, uninstall the software application that you are using that uses OpenApp Media. Once uninstalled, you will no longer see any advertisements, but will also no longer have access to the software application.”

Figuring out which software application is using it or whatever.

I think, that I picked it up when looking at that damned “Homebrew Talk” D I Y forums…

Goofy stuff happens when surfin’ there, like having to double, triple, sometimes quadruple click the “back” icon to get back to the index.
Same deal when you “right click” and select “back”.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Microsoft also has Window’s Defender for free. Just make sure you get it from the Microsoft website. Because there’s also “PC defender” which is just more spyware.

Would ya’ know, if that is part of “Microsoft Security Essentials”?
This I have on my computer, for automatic updates.

You’re using Firefox?

Adblock. It’s a Firefox extension that pretty much deals with adware and ads. Google it, then install it. Ads of all types will be a thing of the past. Banners, sidebars, popups, all of it. No more ugly goons staring at you or dancing fools distracting you while you surf. Wow, a 52 year old mom found out a way to defy aging? Too bad I didn’t see the obnoxious ad for it . . .

Would ya’ know, if that is part of “Microsoft Security Essentials”?
This I have on my computer, for automatic updates.[/quote]

Microsoft Security Essentials is Windows Defender’s successor.

But I’m not sure if it would help in this case. It really only does things that are out-and-out viruses; there’s a whole gray area of software that it won’t remove because not everyone considers it malicious. Only mostly everyone. :roll:

Open Control Panel. Select Add/RemovePrograms. Look for the unusual. Use your browser to identiufy a program you are unsure about before you remove it.

I see a couple of forums that mention a Facebook Unfriend App. Removing that killed the problem.

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/f ... &tid=74289

It’s not malware or spyware - it’s something you allowed to be installed when you downloaded some software or joined a forum and it acts like it’s helping you by looking at text in webpages and matching it to sponsored websites, then adding a link. So malwarebytes and defender and adaware won’t find it (or at least they wouldn’t when I had the same problem a while back). IIRC, I found it using CCleaner to inspect start-up items and then could uninstall it from “Programs” once I knew the name.

I remembered that we discussed this not too long ago and did a search - the last person who had this problem said that you could hover the mouse over one of the added links and choose to “opt out” and that got rid of it.

That was probably me…I had “highlighted text”, but only on this message board

[quote=“BrewingRover”]I see a couple of forums that mention a Facebook Unfriend App. Removing that killed the problem.

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/f ... &tid=74289[/quote]

DING, DING, DING!..We have a winner!..Whilst searching, I saw only 2 “extensions” I think they were called…This was one of them, and I knew I had not selected that shizzle!

I shot it down, even though I was unsure if it contained the “OpenApp” crap…Closed, then re-opened browser, POOF!

Thanks for all the assistance, and I’ll look into the other mentions.

I truly appreciate it!