Pliny the Toddler - 90 Minute Boil?

I’m brewing Pliny the Toddler on Saturday.

The recipe here:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... he-toddler

Calls for a 90 minute boil. Is this necessary, or is 60 okay?

Also, it has .5 pound of Table Sugar…I presume this goes in at flameout?

Thanks!

First hop addition is at 60, 60 should be fine.

It’s not necessary, but in theory you’ll get a bit more melanoidin development with the longer boil, and therefore a slightly darker color and slightly different flavor.

"IBU will change, along with what others have said, and recipe, gravity and such

I didn’t think IBU would change that much…the first hop addition isn’t until 60.

For the gracity, how will that change? I’d account for the extra boiloff with a 90 minute boil.

I didn’t think IBU would change that much…the first hop addition isn’t until 60.

For the gracity, how will that change? I’d account for the extra boiloff with a 90 minute boil.[/quote]

Huh? If your accounting for all the variables in the boil change to the recipe you should be good

For the gracity, how will that change? I’d account for the extra boiloff with a 90 minute boil.[/quote]

Huh? If your accounting for all the variables in the boil change to the recipe you should be good[/quote]

Yes, I’m accounting for the shorter boil, so less water through the system.

All the numbers came out the same after adjustments down to 60 min.

Shouldn’t Pliny the Toddler be a quadruple IPA? The elder is the least strong. The younger is stronger, so the toddler should be the strongest?

I thought the same thing, but that’s not what the recipe says.

Depends how you think about it…it makes sense to me with the the way name are
What would be the strongest an elder younger or toddler? There is your order of things and it’s just a name.

[quote=“stompwampa”]All the numbers came out the same after adjustments down to 60 min.[/quote]Boil until you see hot break, then start the clock.

Hot break?

[quote=“stompwampa”]Hot break?[/quote]That white flaky stuff that starts swirling around in the kettle after about 10 minutes - the protein that coagulates and precipitates out when you let the wort settle.