Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Plinian Legacy Procedure

All,

I am about to brew my first Plinian Legacy extract kit from NB. In the other extract kit’s I have brewed with specialty grains, I heated the water to 153 degrees and then add the grains steeping them for 30 minutes before pulling the grain bag and proceeding to the boil. In this recipe, it sounds like I add the grains as the water is heating along with some hops and when it reaches 170 (20 minutes or so), then I pull the grains and begin the boil. is this correct?

Thanks

Brian

Personally, I brought 2.5 gallons of water to 160 on stove and steeped grains in that for 25-30 minutes. I do full boils so I put the balance of my water (I needed 7.75 gallons to start so 5.25 gallons) in my boil kettle in the garage and heated that up while the grains steeped. My one oops was I forgot to add the FWH until that kettle was almost at a boil, I"ll remember that for next time and there definitely will be a next time with this kit. :stuck_out_tongue: Then when the boil kettle hit 205ish, I removed the grain bag from the pot on the stove and let them drain for about 5 mins and then dumped that pot of water into the boil kettle and brought everything up to a boil. I had to be VERY careful in my 10 gallon kettle through hot break but the rest of the boil went great. This beer turned out amazing.

:cheers:
Rad

Thanks Rad … I believe I’ll give that a try.

Brian

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com