Plinian Legacy Dryhop

Beermates,
NB’s Plinian Legacy calls for 2 separate dry hops, one at 14 days prior to bottling and one 4 days prior. The question I have is whether I remove the first dry hop when I add the second, or just add the second amount of hops to the first hop bag? It seems like a minor point, but I am no dry hop expert.
Chet

Pull the first bag after 5-7 days. Most believe that leaving dry hops in contact with your beer longer than 7 days can impart a nasty vegetal flavor to the beer that’s very slow to condition out.

I left the first bag in the entire time the second bag was in with no ill effects, beer turned out fantastic.

:cheers:
Rad

Bags? I’m making this now. I’ve never used any sort of bag with a dry hop. Do you just drop a mesh bag in there?

I use 1 gallon paint strainer bags. Sanitize the bag, add the hops, tie a piece of unflavored dental floss around the top so you can pull it out later.

I use These

when I dry hop. Make sure to tie the bag loosely as the hops will swell significantly in the bag over the course of your dry hopping. The first time I tried it I tied too tightly and had a difficult time getting the bag back out of my carboy after I racked the beer out.

:cheers:
Rad

They only offer the 7.99 flat rate shipping even if you are just ordering those bags. That is kind of annoying.

Do you have a home depot nearby? $2.48 for 2 pack. I think they’re a bit cheaper at Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1-ga ... rainer+bag

I do not, but I ordered some off of amazon. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will first try to just add the new hops and see how it tastes. I use the muslin bags our host sells with a sanitized spoon (for weight) and use dental floss to hang it inside the keg.

Regarding the opening on a carboy, I find that it would be almost impossible to pull 3 oz. of expanded hops through that small opening. I tried that once and it was a mess.

I dry hop right in the keg now, so it’s not an issue. Hopefully, this will be a good one!
Chet