Please don't squeeze the... steeping bag

Why not!

I’ve noticed that some extract recipes warn against squeezing a bag that is used for steeping specialty malts. It would seem to me that you’d get more sugars out of it which would improve the efficiency. Are they worried about extracting tannins?

Thanks in advance for your response.

That’s the fear. But BIAB people squeeze all their grain without issue. I know I squeeze my test BIAB batches and have never noticed tannins.

Tannin extraction is temperature and pH related. Temperature over 170°F and/or pH greater than 6.0.

With pH having a great impact IME.

I BIAB and have many times squezed the bag like it owed me money. I no longer do because I found it wasn’t really necessary for me. My process nets very high efficiency regardless. Less work on brew day = win.

Yep. I guess the moral of the story is that if you don’t know your temp and PH you might not want to squeeze.

This probably more applies to new homebrewers with steeping grains.
For the all grainers I think that a courser cut helps with less tannin extr. If your not sure about PH.

Yep. I guess the moral of the story is that if you don’t know your temp and PH you might not want to squeeze.

This probably more applies to new homebrewers with steeping grains.
For the all grainers I think that a courser cut helps with less tannin extr. If your not sure about PH.[/quote]
It has been a while, but as I recall, for extract they have you fill the pot with the boil volume, 2-3 gal, and steep the specialty grains as the water heats. So you have no more than a pound or so of grain in 2+ gallons of water. No way can that little grain get the pH of the water down. Plus, they tell you to stop steeping when the water gets to 160-170. So for extract Brewers it probably really is a tricky tannin extraction scenario.