Planting hops!

THis is the weekend! I have my hop root stock and a spot picked out. The Long Island, New York weather has reached springness and I get to plant this weekend. I just don’t know if I can stand the anticipation of having to wait till next year to actually get hops from the vines.

My rhizomes are being mailed out next week. All for the best, I suppose since we just got a bunch of snow last night. I can’t wait to see how they’ll do in my back yard, either.

Congrats! I’m hoping to plant mine this weekend too (in Northern Delaware). I got a “rooted” Cascade rhyzome which supposedly gives it a head start, about a year. Good luck & hoppy growing!

Here in CT my two year old cascade started budding last week only a week after snow melt. I’m going to take some cuttings but not untill it’s warmer. This year I planted chinook,nugget, and willimette last week inside in flower pots.They are starting shoots already I will put them outside in half barrels in a few weeks. Nothing like fresh hops. I dry hop everything with them.