Planting a Root Cutting, Not a Rhizome?

I have one or two cuttings that appear to be roots only as I cannot see any nodes on them.

My question is, if I plant them, is anything likely to grow if they are true root cuttings not rhizomes?

The bottom one looks like about 99.9% to be a root. The top one could be a rhizome. Most of the time, not always, the roots tend to be a little more cream colored than the rhizomes and have a different appearance whereas the rhizomes grow with a more uniform shape. Give it a go!

plant them and see. what do you have to lose.

Could you just place them in a water glass and see if anything grows like you can for some plants? That would save you some digging and guess work if it would work for hops.

I may be wrong, but I thought a rhizome is a root. At least the thicker top part of the root.
That looks exactly like what you get from the hop farm. I have planted two in the last two years with much success. Just put it in the ground it will grow.

:cheers:

Last year I planted a Cascade rhizome in a large pot. The plant did very well, and even sent a few roots into the ground below the pot. In the fall I lifted the pot out of the ground and a couple of small roots remind stuck in the ground.

I decided to keep an eye on the roots to see what happens. This year the roots took off and are the most vigorous of my 2nd year hops!

From my experience any part of the root can produce a crop.

Unless the Agronomy department at Ohio State was wrong, I always learned that a rhizome was an underground vegetative shoot capable of producing new plants and some carbohydrate storage. The ‘true’ roots’ main purpose was to secure water and nutrients to be made available to the crown. It’ll be interesting to see if anything grows from either of them. Hop On!!