Pitching Yeast

It seems that in every case as far as I have read the yeast is poured on top of the wort. Wouldn’t some gentle stirring after pitching better disperse/mix it?

Have you seen the turnover in the fermenter when fermentation starts?

The yeast will find all the sugar on their own. :wink:

Stirring doesn’t hurt, but it’s unnecessary to disperse the yeast.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Have you seen the turnover in the fermenter when fermentation starts?

The yeast will find all the sugar on their own. :wink: [/quote]

Well, I’ve ordered the stuff. Some of it has arrived at home. More to come, but I’ve never brewed anything but a few batches of mead many years ago from an old recipe in Easy Riders magazine.

I’m in Afghanistan and I’ve been researching all this in my spare time. I’m looking forward to getting home in September and jumping in.

I “stir” quite vgorously but the goal is not what you have mentioned. I am using a dril mounted long stick with plastic “flails” (zip ties) through the bottom. This done at high for around a min shifting from top to bottom of the carboy insures good oxigenation of the Wort/yeast. I suppose I get the yeast well mixed but like mentioned above; If you actually watch the activity in a carboy around day two or three you may be amazed at how fast the mostion is in there. Amazing that it all comes from heat and gas release. with all that motion it seems ulikely that they yeast ereally need help with mixing.

Barry