Pitching Rates and BeerSmith3

fd
This is my, "no computerized, shaken " starter for Sunday’s brew… 3/4 cup DME to one quart of water. Sneezles61

2 Likes

Is that new construction, refurbishment, or a neck recycled into a fancy mash paddle? :laughing:

New bass… Just about time for finish… Sneezles61

3 Likes

Pulled out a mason jar of wy2001 urquell slurry from March to make a starter the other night and when I opened the jar lid there was yeast up around the lid and even under the top. There was about 500ml of slurry in the jar with another 300ml or so of beer on top of it. So I’m not sure what went on in there at 36f in my serving fridge but it had a rather unsettling odor. I had already made the 2L starter so I pitched it. Foamed up like crazy when I shook it…got to thinking about it later on in the evening and sniffed it…nope…tossed it out.

Luckily I have another jar of it from Feb that looks ok.

I always give it the sniff test. The nose knows

3 Likes

That’s why I like at least an inch of hoppy beer cap… Seals and protects… Sneezles61

it had at least 3 inches on it. Not sure what happened. looked like it got shaken or maybe there was fermenting going on but hard to believe since it was in the fridge the whole time…

It’s hard to imagine yeast growing in a cold fridge… But perhaps some other strain of something was in there… So when the select yeast went dormant… The other bugs slowly gained the upper hand… Maybe? Sneezles61

Needed some jars from the yeast bank so I found some oldies back in there. A London Ale slurry from February 2018! Two jars and both passed the sniff taste…,kinda like a yeasty British Mild. Felt bad dumping them but I need the jars.

I know @voodoo_donut I too have a problem saving yeast. About once per year I’ll go through my bank and toss out stuff that’s a year old.

2 Likes