Pitching in a fast turnaround?

Hi All, this coming weekend I want to brew an APA and utilize the yeast that is sitting in a current batch in primary that I intend on bottling at the same time. I assume there will be a ton of trub that I don’t want in the new batch. So if I were to quickly wash the yeast and pitch some or all right into my APA would this be okay? The yeast in que is WY1762 Belgian Abbey II. From some posts I’ve read this will put a Belgian spin on my APA, which I’m looking forward to. Any advice on my plan? Am I in the ball park with my though process? Thanks, Mike

Mr. Malty calls for 2.5 oz based on my 1.053 og. Based on this, I should have more than I need???

I do it all the time. Planning successive brews is a great way to save on the cost of yeast. I usually use 1/2 pint of thick slurry for Ales & 1 pint for Lagers. 10 gallon batches. If the timing isn’t quite right I’ve kept the yeast in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks without having to do a starter and pitch it straight out of the fridge with great results. Cheers!!!

Thank you! I’m doing a 4 gallon batch. Does 2.5 ounces of ‘clean’ slurry sound sufficient as based on Malty? If I hit it with XX more ounces would it be acceptable?

I don’t think you can go wrong with Mr. Malty’s recommendations. A little extra never hurts IMO. Cheers!!!

As a rule of thumb, pitch 1/3 of the yeast into the next batch. You can save the rest for another batch (or two). Make up a starter if it’s over 2 weeks.

Many thanks! I’m psyched for the process being my first time at it.

That’s the formula which has served me well for 2 decades…and since in general there is lots of ‘wiggle room’, it really doesn’t need to get any more complicated than that.

So 1/3 usually does the trick. If I’m pitching into a high gravity brew, I’ll use half the saved slurry (or maybe a little more if the OG is particularly high); I’ll also pitch a bit extra if the slurry was stored in the fridge for more than 2 weeks. I’ll make a starter if the saved yeast is more than 4 weeks old.

Much appreciated. So, if you’re heading your batch to bottles or keg, and the trub/slurry is pretty green etc. due to hops, malt (trub in general) do you dump that as well or typically do a rinse?

If it’s still green after the first rinse, I’ll rinse it again. By three rinses you should have yeast with little trub.

:cheers:

You can rinse it if you feel like it…I’ve used both rinsed and unrinsed, and have detected no difference at all in the results, so I rarely bother any more (unless I think I’ll be storing the yeast for a longer than usual time…like months…in that case I’ll give it the treatment).