Pitching 2 smack packs in yeast starter - DME amount same?

If I’m pitching 2 smack packs in a yeast starter, do I double the DME? I’m guessing not, but is it just the same for one pack?

Nope. No matter how much yeast you pitch, you want the starter OG to be around 1.035. You might want to go with a larger volume, though, which of course would mean more DME.

Thanks Denny. Sorry, but I’m still confused. I have a 1 gallon jug I’m using for the starter. Any suggestion for how much DME and how much water I use to keep it at 1.035?

I looked at Mr. Malty starter calculator, but it just recommends an amount of “starter” and not what the ratio of DME to water is needed to get that amount of starter.

Here is a good tool:

http://brew.stderr.net/starter_wort_calc.html

100g DME to 1L water. This gives about 1.038 SG.

Since you have a ~4L vessel, cook up 200g DME with 2L water.

Thanks!

[quote=“Kennybellew”]Thanks Denny. Sorry, but I’m still confused. I have a 1 gallon jug I’m using for the starter. Any suggestion for how much DME and how much water I use to keep it at 1.035?

I looked at Mr. Malty starter calculator, but it just recommends an amount of “starter” and not what the ratio of DME to water is needed to get that amount of starter.[/quote]

I use a ratio of .75 oz. DME for every cup of water on the starter. So, for a 3 qt. starter I use 9 oz. DME.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Kennybellew”]Thanks Denny. Sorry, but I’m still confused. I have a 1 gallon jug I’m using for the starter. Any suggestion for how much DME and how much water I use to keep it at 1.035?

I looked at Mr. Malty starter calculator, but it just recommends an amount of “starter” and not what the ratio of DME to water is needed to get that amount of starter.[/quote]

I use a ratio of .75 oz. DME for every cup of water on the starter. So, for a 3 qt. starter I use 9 oz. DME.[/quote]

I did a starter this morning using 1 quart and three ounces of dme.