Pitched yeast to early

I was watching the temp on the side of the carboy and I thought it was around 78,
If it was higher and I killed all the yeast off and nothing starts to ferment in the next 24 hours can I just pitch another packet in?

How hot was it? You have to get to >110°F to kill off any yeast.

78°F is also too warm to pitch any beer, FWIW.

It for sure was not over 110…Well I don’t think so. I was using the temp bar on the carboy and I “thought” it was 78, the bottle was not warm to the touch, I for some reason think it was a bit over 78.

Fwiw, the instructions say 78 or lower…if you say 78 is to high, then someone needs to fix these instructions. :wink:

Does it get cold in Minnesota? :wink:
Quick, get that carboy outside until it drops to the mid 60s

[quote=“Scott Miller”]Does it get cold in Minnesota? :wink:
[/quote]
not yet. :lol:

It’s not cold here at all…was 40 today. It finally started snowing tonight. Good news…I just checked the carboy and there is action already…yay…guess I did not kill them all off…hahaha.

Point stands… Get that sucker to <70°F ASAP.

Yeast love those warm temperatures.
To put it scientifically “They go apeshit” and their normally delicate “farts” get pretty “not good”
Please, for me, cool that thing down.

It’s at 66-68 now…sitting directly on the cement floor in the basement :wink: it will drop to around 58-62 and stay there for the remainer of the ferment over the next few days.

[quote=“GarretD”]It for sure was not over 110…Well I don’t think so. I was using the temp bar on the carboy and I “thought” it was 78, the bottle was not warm to the touch, I for some reason think it was a bit over 78.

Fwiw, the instructions say 78 or lower…if you say 78 is to high, then someone needs to fix these instructions. :wink: [/quote]

Those are VERY bad instructions! In general, you want to get down to around 65 before pitching.

[quote=“GarretD”]It for sure was not over 110…Well I don’t think so. I was using the temp bar on the carboy and I “thought” it was 78, the bottle was not warm to the touch, I for some reason think it was a bit over 78.

Fwiw, the instructions say 78 or lower…if you say 78 is to high, then someone needs to fix these instructions. :wink: [/quote]

first thing you learn in brewing is instructions are crap

Second thing you learn in brewing is that everything on the interwebspacefacenet is true. :wink:

TBH, the yeast “instructions” are fermentation range, not pitching temp; no?

:cheers: