Pitch of yeast

Me sort of confused about wich temp to pitch the yeast. Been reading lots. But all different temp rates. Now do pitch around 70 recipy from beer not acurate. I do think. Cool wort fast down to 80 or 90. It does say and pitch the yeast.

80 is much too warm to pitch most ales. Best to chill to the lower end of the yeast’s optimal range for pitching and to hold the temp there for at least the first 3-4 days. You can find the particular yeast’s optimal range on the packaging or on the manufacturers web site. Typically low 60s are about right for most ale yeast.

1 Like

I am on board with Danny. Ales I will chill to lower 60’s and an hour before time to pitch, I take me yeast out of the fridge and it comes up so they are close in temp. Sneezles61

1 Like

Yesterday was vert hot here but I got going early and got the wort in my fermenter before the sun cleared the trees. So I can relate to @wilcolandzaat a bit. What I did was chill to 80 and put the fermenters in a swamp cooler for the rest of the day. Pitched the yeast higher than I normally would . Sometimes I put the fermenters in the lager chamber but it was full. I know people pitch next day but I figured I pitched at 70 then loaded in some ice bottles. Was fermenting nicely at 68 this AM. I freshened up the ice and hopefully keep it under control. Obviously it’s an ale do I’m not worried. Wouldn’t do it with a lager though, those I chill below fermentation temp and let it rise into temp.

1 Like

Yea I’m pretty lucky to chill with well water that seldom gets above 60 even when it’s blazing hot like right now.

1 Like

Last sat did brew session with six icebags did it get low to 70. Did messure the fausit water. It was 85. Now nice fermenting my brew. Just did replace my ice bottles. Did got the temp dowm to. 69. Hope ot does stay for a few days