Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Pilsner malt + ? = Pale Ale malt

Planning on brewing a brown ale today and it turns out I’m completely out of Pale Ale malt but I’ve got plenty of Pilsner malt.

Can I add a small percentage of Munich or Aromatic to the Pilsner to approximate Pale Ale malt?

Cheers,
Brian

That would probably get you in the ballpark. I think Munich might work better than aromatic, but I’m guessing…

With the other malts involved in a brown I wouldn’t worry with approximating a “pale ale malt”.
If you were doing a session that calls for close to 100% pale then I would tend to agree with Denny and use a smidge of Munich well before aromatic to balance flavor profile. The biggest thing you will want to concern yourself with is the DMS content of the finished beer. Pils malt has much higher levels of SMM than higher kilned malts and requires a longer boil. I recommend 100minute and if you cover the kettle during chilling wait until you drop under 140f to prevent re-absorption.

I don’t know if I could go as far as saying pils malt “requires” a longer boil, but I can definitely say “it might require a longer boil”. My typical boil is 70-75 min. and I’ve never had DMS issues from that. Your point about it not making much difference in a brown ale is well taken.

Tit for tat: I have a low natural threshold for DMS I therefore take all precautions to eliminate final content YRMV. This includes my choice to never use Rahr pils again due to uncharacteristic DMS levels well higher than any other producers I’ve used including other domestics like Cargill. So this could be a producer to producer discussion if you want to debate semantics.

I suggest using the half life model if a beginner and then you can decide thereafter if your own pallete accepts 60 or 100 minute boils.

How can you tell if your beer has DMS?

A small amount of biscuit/victory malt also works well. 2-3%

Tit for tat: I have a low natural threshold for DMS I therefore take all precautions to eliminate final content YRMV. This includes my choice to never use Rahr pils again due to uncharacteristic DMS levels well higher than any other producers I’ve used including other domestics like Cargill. So this could be a producer to producer discussion if you want to debate semantics.

I suggest using the half life model if a beginner and then you can decide thereafter if your own pallete accepts 60 or 100 minute boils.[/quote]

It certainly won’t hurt to do a longer boil. And I agree that I think it’s producer specific. I don’t use any domestic pils malt. With the Weyermann, Durst, MFB, Castle, and Best pils I’ve used, I haven’t found it to be an issue.

It has a vegetal kind of aroma and taste…often referred to as cooked cabbage or corn.

Well, then… that would explain why a pilsner a brewed 2 years ago tasted like rotten vegetables. I used to brew the entire boil with the lid on. Of course, I don’t anymore. Thanks, Denny.

i did a 60 min boil with 100% pilsner malt. it definitely had DMS present. but maybe my taste buds are just sensitive to it. lesson learned i suppose

tasted vegative, green, sweet-ish (in a bad way) despite the low FG. i ended up dumping it because i really didn’t enjoy drinking it

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com