Pils with non-traditional hops

While I very much enjoy a German Pils or a Bo Pils adhering to the style I’ve been thinking about using some of the newer hop varieties in the same style beer. Was thinking about ones like Citra, Sorachi Ace or Nelson Sauvin. Any one tried this and know of ones that worked well or didn’t work at all?

Czech Pils with German Perle hops. In my mind it made sense that it would work well. I was wrong and it was terrible. I still have 3/4 of a keg sitting in a closet just waiting to be dumped. It’s that bad.

I would say nelson may be too over the top for this. I had a single hopped nelson pale lager at MPLS Town Hall at the end of the summer…while it could have be partially grist related…the nelson was not a good match imho for this clean of a style. It was a bit to pungent and abrasive…not refreshing in the least.

I agree that Nelson could be too much for this style. In my experience the vinous character can really be overpowering.

My suggestion is to stick with a noble-style hop for your bittering addition, then use your non-traditional hops late. I brewed a “Hoptoberfest” this summer that came out fantastic. I used Amarillo, Columbus and Ultra for FWH, flameout and dry hops, and used just Ultra on its own as my 60-minute addition. It came out fantastic, possibly the best beer I’ve brewed to date.

That sounds like a good idea though it sounds like I’d be better off sticking to some hops that won’t over power the beer.

Guess I’ll stick to Pale Ales for playing around with some of the newer hop varieties. Kind of went on a hop buying bender buying Citra, Nelson, Sorachi, etc. since they are hard to get a hold of and I wanted to try them out. Will just stick to the using them in the styles they’re best suited for.

Sorachi Ace…lemon lager? It could work.

The problem with Sorachi is that along with a lemon, they often have a pronounced dill character as well. I made twin IPA/IBA with all sorachi post-bittering addition, and the dill was evident. Ok, but not great. Works in saisons and some other styles, but they are a tricky hop to get right.

The problem with Sorachi is that along with a lemon, they often have a pronounced dill character as well. I made twin IPA/IBA with all sorachi post-bittering addition, and the dill was evident. Ok, but not great. Works in saisons and some other styles, but they are a tricky hop to get right.[/quote]

Agreed. Better off using Motueka - gives a really nice lime zest/lemongrass flavor.

The problem with Sorachi is that along with a lemon, they often have a pronounced dill character as well. I made twin IPA/IBA with all sorachi post-bittering addition, and the dill was evident. Ok, but not great. Works in saisons and some other styles, but they are a tricky hop to get right.[/quote]

Agreed. Better off using Motueka - gives a really nice lime zest/lemongrass flavor.[/quote]

I have a lemon lager going that I plan to bottle next week. It was origionally a lager version of my lemon-rosemary blonde ale, I used S A to lightly FWH and as a finish hop. I tried a little recently after six weeks at 36 and taste no lemon and the rosemary now tastes quite mellow. Last week I made a lemon extract using rum and lemon zest that I’m going to add to the bottling bucket.

You ain’t kidding. I did a Sorachi beer awhile back - it’s the only beer I’ve made with no sort of infection that I’ve dumped. The dill was a lot more prominent than the lemon.

You ain’t kidding. I did a Sorachi beer awhile back - it’s the only beer I’ve made with no sort of infection that I’ve dumped. The dill was a lot more prominent than the lemon.[/quote]

I actually did do an all-Sorachi cream ale (I was really on a kick @ one point!) that came out pretty good. It was weird though, there was NO WAY there was diacetyl in this beer, but something that I perceived as ‘buttery’. Others didn’t perceive it, so either I was miscategorizing a flavor or I have an insanely low butter threshold…

Either way, tricky hop. I like the Montueka idea for lighter ales and lagers. I think I was so bound and determined to be successful with it largely because Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is one of the best American-made saisons I’ve ever had (and I live in immediate proximity to Stillwater Artisinal Ales, who consistently make phenomenal examples), and I wanted to find my own style. This is the genius that is Garrett Oliver.

A friend made a simcoe pilsener a couple of years ago. It was good, but I like the traditional better. I don’t know if I could have drank a whole keg of it.