pH testing

Anyone have any tips for testing ph? I have a brew in a few days but don’t know anything about testing. Any thoughts, help or links would be greatly appreciated!!!
Scott

[quote=“Gr8abe”]Anyone have any tips for testing ph? I have a brew in a few days but don’t know anything about testing. Any thoughts, help or links would be greatly appreciated!!!
Scott[/quote]

It’s pretty straightforward, Scott. Just get some pH strips (ColorpHast, not the cheap paper ones) or a meter and follow the instructions. The hard part is knowing what to do once you know the pH. Do you have a water report so that you have a starting point for adjustment?

We don’t have a water report, the closest water report that Beersmith has is Baltimore, and that’s 60 miles away. I guess I should get in touch with my water co. What do I ask for?

can I take a test of our tap water with a test strip and use that for a base?

For pH, yes, but you need to know the mineral content in order to know how to adjust your water. pH is only one part of the puzzle.

Ask for the annual water quality report. They are required to provide one.

awesome! Thanks!

Just be aware that water cos. usually don’t have all the mineral info you need for brewing.

My local water co did not publish the calcium levels but when I called them they gave me everything I was looking for.

Mine listed pretty much everything, but I have more faith in having it tested myself. I highly recommend that you get a water sample sent off to Ward Labs to be tested after your upcoming brewday.