Petite Orange as a PM

So I’m looking at the Petite Orange AG and Extract recipes. Both have

• 0.5 lbs Belgian CaraPils[/*]
  • 0.5 lbs CaraVienne[/*]
  • 0.25 lbs Belgian Aromatic[/*]
  • 0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt[/*]
Difference is the extract recipe uses 6 lbs Pilsner malt extract, while the AG uses 7 lbs real Pilsner malt. (duh. right?)

So If I wanted to merge these these to create a PM recipe, I’m thinking I could use the same list above, with only 3.5 lbs pilsner. 2-ish gallons to mash, and more to sparge (rinse my BIAB) I would probably rinse until I had a 3.5 gal boil volume.
I’d then do a late addition of a 3.15 lb. bottle of extract, and top-off to 5-gal.

I feel like I may have oversimplified this; so am I on the right track?

Caution! the following is my personal opinion based on my personal experience. It is not supported by a scientifically designed, statistically significant sample size:

Partial mash combines the effort required for a BIAB plus the effort required for an extract brew; it leaves you with a beer containing a large volume extract - which means you can’t control the fermentability of much of the wort. Go all-grain.

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]Caution! the following is my personal opinion based on my personal experience. It is not supported by a scientifically designed, statistically significant sample size:

Partial mash combines the effort required for a BIAB plus the effort required for an extract brew; it leaves you with a beer containing a large volume extract - which means you can’t control the fermentability of much of the wort. Go all-grain.[/quote]
Agreed. I’ve done a few PMs, the process seems to have all the disadvantages of AG and Extract combined. I’d say there is a bit better potential control over the results. The key advantage to me of PM over all grain is that you can do a larger volume batch than your boil capacity. I lack the space for an outdoor burner, and I don’t have the firepower inside to do a 5-gal full boil. So I have to resort to extract or PM for 5-gallon batches. For me doing AG, I’m stuck around 3-gallons which is perfectly acceptable to me.

The Petite Orange extract recipe though is one that’s enough of a hit around here, that I’d like to keep doing 5-gallon, but I’d like to upgrade it to PM.