Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Peroxide for adding oxygen to Wort?

I used to be into breeding rare fish. I was very successful, and did it for many years. In case of a power outage I used to add a little peroxide (H2O2) to the water to maintain oxygen level to prevent fish deaths. I never had a problem while doing this. I was wondering if this is anything anyone has tried in your wort before pitching the yeast. Peroxide is only 1 element away from water, that being oxygen. This may be the easiest way to feed your yeast if it works. I am willing to try it, but was hoping someone else has before I potentially waste wort. Forgive me if this topic has been beat up in the past, this is my 1st posting.

Opps sorry about the big picture, I added in the wrong place. I was trying to attach it to my name area. What did I do wrong? lol

You need to shrink that picture WAY down to be able to use it as an avatar.

Wow that could be a revelation if it works.

I read somewhere else that you could add a tiny bit of olive oil.

You can, but it doesn’t do the job better than any of the regular aeration options. I tried it for a couple of batches, adding the OO to the starter wort to build up the yeast’s reserves, and the yeast performed as usual. You can do a search on this forum and find a bunch of threads about it, think it was '08 when New Belgium was doing it and it was a hot topic.

Let us know how it turns out…if you don’t die.

I am suprised noone has tried this before. It works great for the fish tanks. Adds oxygen to water that gets depleted by the fish. I guess I will have to be the pioneer on this one. I will have to post my results in a few weeks when I get a chance to do a side by side comparison.

Do you just pour it into the tank? Does it react immediately and bubble? How much will you add to five gallons of wort and are you trying to hit 12ppm?

Lets see, you want 12ppm (assume w/v) of O2 in 5gal = 19L. 12ug/ml x 19000ml = 228000ug=228mg=0.228g of O2.

O2 has a molecular weight of 32g/mol. It takes 2 H2O2 to get one O2 (2 H2O2—> O2 + 2 H2O). Peroxide MW is 34g/mol. So to get 0.228g of O2 you’d need 0.228 x 68/32= 0.4845g of peroxide. The stuff is typically only 3% so 0.4845 x (97/3) = 15.67g. The stuff is about 1g/ml, so it’d be 16ml.

OK…I volunteer to try this on my next batch. This is the first non-PITA aeration/oxygenation technique I’ve seen.

Assuming 100% absorbtion, though. That’s why I asked about the application in the fish tank - seems like it would bubble out as soon as it hit the wort and you’d lose it to the air unless the peroxide is injected, or stirred maybe, into the wort immediately.

It’s been tested by George Fix, among others. See
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue4.6/miller.html
, for example.

The problem is that peroxide is going to release atomic oxygen, and is therefore (obviously) a powerful oxidizer. Sure, some of that will combine into molecular O2, but in the meantime it’s going to oxidize wort compounds that you probably don’t want oxidized.

I agree with a10t2. Free rads are not good to have around.

Assuming 100% absorbtion, though. That’s why I asked about the application in the fish tank - seems like it would bubble out as soon as it hit the wort and you’d lose it to the air unless the peroxide is injected, or stirred maybe, into the wort immediately.[/quote]

It shouldn’t release so quickly that it’d all gas out. After all the peroxide is already in water.

I do agree that its likely to cause some oxidation but thats not a lot of oxidizer and I think maybe it will still release its oxygen as O2.

I have yet to find a situation where I knew my beer wasn’t good because of a lack of oxygen.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com