Pecan Ale Extract

I am pretty new to home brewing. I have done a few extract kit and have begun to keg recently. I am trying to get some info on a pecan ale. I will be sticking with extract brewing for now, but I am looking for information on how to make a pecan ale. What kit, pecan usage, etc.

Thanks!

Was at holy city brewing in charleston last week to buy a sack of marris otter. Awesome when a brewery hooks up home brewers.

And they had just bottled a batch of pecan ale. And he wanted my opinions on it.

I thought it was one of the better beers I have had of theirs. So I asked him a few things about it. They said the added the pecans in secondary. wasn’t as pecan forward as lazy magnolias pecan ale. It all came through in three back end. Not overpowering.

I think a nut brown or english dark mild would make an good base for an pecan ale. Not sure on the quantity of pecans that you would need though.

I was looking at the Nut Brown kit. I was looking towards the Abita Pecan Ale style. The Lazy Magnolia is a bit overpowering. The amount of pecans is really the question I guess, and how to use them correctly. Should I toast them and then add? I guess I am looking at the sanitation aspect.

Here is something I just put together using abitas info on the their pecan ale.

Abita Pecan® Harvest Ale is brewed with pale, Munich, biscuit and caramel malts and Willamette hops. Real Louisiana roasted pecans are added in the brewhouse and give the ale a subtle nutty flavor and aroma. Crack one open for yourself.

Beer Profile
ABV 5.0%
IBU 20
Color 19

So here is what I put together. May be too much crystal malt. Someone else may say it needs to come done some. just trying to match abitas grain bill.

The amber malt syrup would actually need to be northern brewers munich malt extract which is 50/50 pale malt/munich malt. Which abita calls for both. And the crystal 80 would actually be english dark crystal.

Still have no clue on how much pecans. But I would secondary them for sure to keep any flavor. And yes roast them in the oven.

Preston pecan ale
Southern English Brown Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 7.500
Total Hops (oz): 0.75
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 17.8 (EBC): 35.1
Bitterness (IBU): 20.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

6.000 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Amber (80%)
1.000 lb Crystal 80 (13.33%)
0.250 lb Biscuit (3.33%)
0.250 lb Special-B (3.33%)

Hop Bill

0.75 oz Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
http://www.brewmate.net

I would actually use a small amount of chocolate malt and victory malt and cut the crystal back a good bit if I were to brew one. But I was just trying to work with what abita uses.