Peace Coffee 2nd Crack Stout - mishap

I received the extract kit for free on a promotion and decided to brew it the other day on my 25 gallon brew system. It’s been over 600 batches since I’ve brewed an extract but I thought it would be fun and quick. I was having fun moving right along. I added the ground coffee straight to the BK at flameout and let it steep for 20 minutes. Just after pumping through the CFC and into the fermenter, I went to do my backflush for my CIP system and no water was coming into the brew pot. Then I noticed the 1/2" thermoplastic rubber hoses were nearly double in size. UT-OH … before I could shut off the water, the hose blew off and coffee grounds and trub shot everywhere. Thinking the line was now clear, I reinstalled the hose onto the CFC and turned the backflush water back on. This time, the hose on the pump shot off and completely covered me in coffee grounds. Not a happy camper. Needless to say, I will use a bag for coffee grounds if I ever do it again. Just thought I’d share my experience. :oops:

Heh. I consider myself a “veteran brewer” too and also get a heaping dose of brewing humility now and then. :mrgreen: