Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

PBW vs Oxy Clean

I am currently using Oxy Clean my carboys and kettles. I just dont feel like its doing the same job that PBW did. I made the switch for the price. Is PBW worth the price ???

Yep.

I’ve seen Denny and others note that PBW works a bit better so I’m inclined to listen to the side of experience

I sure didn’t think it was worth the difference in price.

I have been nothing but happy since switching to oxy clean.

Isn’t PBW an Oxyclean-type cleaner plus TSP (tri sodium phosphate)?

Not as far as I know, although some people claim that adding TSP will be the same.

I like and use Oxiclean a lot. For the msot critical cleaning, though, I use PBW because it seems to work just a bit better. So I use both to get both price and cleaning power advantages, depending on my needs.

Alright PBW it is. Thanks for the advice.

[quote=“Denny”]So I use both to get both price and cleaning power advantages, depending on my needs.[/quote]+1

I just bought the (4 lb?) container of PBW from my LHBS and the cashier told me that if I bring the container back, they will refill it at much less cost from their bulk containers. Sounded like a great deal to me!

[quote=“560sdl”]Sounded like a great deal to me![/quote]Yeah, I should probably add that I buy PBW in the 8# container with our bulk buys, so it’s a lot cheaper than the usual tiny container and not as painful for everyday use.

[quote=“Denny”]
I like and use Oxiclean a lot. For the msot critical cleaning, though, I use PBW because it seems to work just a bit better. So I use both to get both price and cleaning power advantages, depending on my needs.[/quote]

1+

Additionally, I heard one of the guys from 5 star say that reusing the PBW solution was not a great idea because the oxygen cleaner part was out of solution in 24 hours. So what I have been doing when cleaning several kegs or buckets is to mix up 5 gallons for the 1st keg with about 1/2 the recommended PBW amount and let it soak until the next evening after work. Then I transfer that PBW solution to the next keg and add a little Oxiclean to get back the O2 part. I repeat this adding more oxiclean but no more PBW until all the kegs and buckets are clean. Best of both worlds, I think.

Is “a bit better” worth $7 a pound versus $2 a pound?
I finally gave up job hunting and started getting my S S early. While I have enough to live on it’s hard to justify that big a price difference the few times a year I can afford to brew.
That $5 buys the grains for a batch of bitter.

I’m curious what you use PBW for versus Oxi-Clean? I’ve yet to find anything that Oxi-Clean won’t take care of.

Add another vote for PBW. I’ve tried both and definitely prefer the cleaning abilities of PBW.

I ferment in buckets and the fermenters and yeast storage containers are my main uses for PBW. I soaked a bucket in Oxiclean for a few hours, then after emptying and rinsing it I filled it with a PBW solution for a few hours. When I emptied that the water was visibly darker than normal. From that totally non scientific test I decided that PBW removed stuff that Oxiclean left.

To the previous post, yes, I think PBW is worth the difference in price. But if you use it selectively you can minimize the difference.

That sounds like a convincing test. I ferment in glass. How do hoses stand up to PBW?

Would a second soak with Oxiclean also have possibly removed more stuff? I always clean my equipment twice: once before use and once immediately after use.

From the Charlie Talley Interview, PBW is about 75% Sodium Percarbonate and 25% Sodium Metasillicate. In local buying terms, that’s 75% Oxyclean Free/SunOxygenCleaner and 25% Red Devil TSP/90 (Not actually TSP, but, you guessed it, Sodium Metasillicate).

The Sun Oxygen Cleaner is available at WalMart for $1.99 and the Red Devil TSP/90 is available at ACE Hardware and probably elsewhere for under $5.00. I brew once per month and 2 small tubs of Sun and 1 package of RD TSP/90 have lasted me over a year.

I can understand not wanting to stray from the Top Shelf Label stuff, and 5-Star is a great company. But there is little, if any difference.

[quote=“DCBC”]From the Charlie Talley Interview, PBW is about 75% Sodium Percarbonate and 25% Sodium Metasillicate. In local buying terms, that’s 75% Oxyclean Free/SunOxygenCleaner and 25% Red Devil TSP/90 (Not actually TSP, but, you guessed it, Sodium Metasillicate).

The Sun Oxygen Cleaner is available at WalMart for $1.99 and the Red Devil TSP/90 is available at ACE Hardware and probably elsewhere for under $5.00. I brew once per month and 2 small tubs of Sun and 1 package of RD TSP/90 have lasted me over a year.
[/quote]

Awesome. Going to pick up a package of the Red Devil TSP! Good info, thanks!

My pleasure.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com