PBW Longevity

I’ve been running my beer glasses through the dishwasher, catching the dry cycle and rubbing the inside down with some Star San I have in a jar on the counter to remove any head retention killing soap residue.

Can I do this with PBW? How long would a small batch be good for?

Does anyone do this with Oxyclean?

I’m looking to skip the dishwasher and just wash by hand and dry on a rack.

Some one asked the same exact question over there.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/pbw-longevity-451749/

Could not resist.

:mrgreen:

I use PBW only in my dishwasher but the dishwasher is in the basement and is devoted to beer glasses only. PBW is not that expensive so why does everybody keep trying to reuse it?

I find PBW prohibitively expensive for what it does. Especially when oxyclean does as good or even a better job at like 1/4th of the cost.

I’m guessing the hydrogen peroxide bit (which is what provides a lot of the cleaning power) would decompose over time after you mix it with water. Not sure how fast that happens, though.

I’d rather buy more brewing ingredients than buying PBW if it only lasts one use. It would kinda suck to make a qt of it to clean my one glass. That, my friend, would be a big waste to me. I’d just continue what I’ve been doing then…

I have a bunch of Oxyclean, but have a hard time thinking it’s good for washing dishes with, even with a good rinse, though I have used it to clean my buckets…

[quote=“rodwha”]I’d rather buy more brewing ingredients than buying PBW if it only lasts one use. It would kinda suck to make a qt of it to clean my one glass. That, my friend, would be a big waste to me. I’d just continue what I’ve been doing then…

I have a bunch of Oxyclean, but have a hard time thinking it’s good for washing dishes with, even with a good rinse, though I have used it to clean my buckets…[/quote]I think nobody in their right mind would mix up a quart of PBW just to clean a beer glass. That would be a waste to anybody. Before my dishwasher, I just rinsed glasses in very hot water and used a sponge with StarSan in the handle instead of detergent. I’ll post a pic below.

+1 why in the world didn’t I think of that?

Just rinse them a few times in really hot water. They’ve only had beer in them!

[quote=“dannyboy58”]Just rinse them a few times in really hot water. They’ve only had beer in them![/quote]+1 No need to wash with any detergent and I wouldn’t worry about sanitizing them unless you live with a leper (and yes, I know leprosy isn’t contagious but still…).

That is a smooth way to clean 'em up!

Yea, just wanting to clean my beer glasses. I’m not too concerned about others who drink from my glasses, but I do prefer to know they are clean. And sometimes they aren’t properly rinsed, like when SWMBO decides she wants some beer and leaves her glass in the living room because it’s too difficult to take back to the kitchen! :evil:

:?: I’m puzzled, why do you need any sort of special cleaning process? And why star san; are you planning to pour the beer into the glass and then keep it for long enough that you are worried about infections?

I use the same glasses for beer as for anything else drunk in the house, and just run them through the dishwasher with all the other dirty dishes. Never have had a problem with foam retention, off flavors or anything else.

In the beginning I had head retention and lacing problems. I was told it could be because of the soap, that the residue is designed to cut grease, and also kills head retention. I was also told that it could help if I added wheat to my beer. So I had done all of the suggestions, except that I still washed my beer glasses in the dishwasher, and because I have Star San on hand, use it to rinse off any soap residue.

I’ve since quit using wheat is most beers, and use carapils or LME with carapils.

Let me say this again: I am not trying to sanitize my glasses. I am using it to rinse off soap residue.

I just hand wash my beer glasses. The dish soap we use for hand washing is the stuff that’s just basic detergent with no additives, perfumes, anything like that. Whereas our dishwasher detergent has all the usual SUPER TURBO 4X STAIN-CUTTING POWER. I think that stuff might be the real head retention killer.

That’s all I use unless I’m lazy and just toss stuff unknowing it won’t quite get things clean enough, but saves me a little extra scrubbing.

I’m going to try washing them with hand washing dish soap and see what I notice.

Captain obvios here maybe but…I just rinse well with tap water to remove soap. No wipe on the market or one you make yourself is going to remove the soap (if that is the concern here) better than copious flowing tap water. And it almost free.

Barry

I tried just washing in the dishwasher and it did seem to lose just a touch of head retention, but not enough for me to concern myself with anymore.

I’ve since taken PBW out of my cart as Oxyclean seems to work just fine for me.