Patersbier: What BJCP Category?

I made the Patersbier kit from NB. They call it a "a monk’s session beer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... n-kit.html

I think it should go in 16E Belgian Specialty Ale but the question for that category is to describe it adequately for the judges. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

16E and call it a “blond trappist table beer” or an “abbey single” and they judges will know what to expect.

I’m new to the judging game but your post begs the question: is it common to submit brews for contests that are actually kits from a supplier? In this case, NB. Good luck by the way.

As long as you brew it yourself on non-commercial equipment, you can enter whatever you like - kits are no different than using one of Jamil’s recipes (it’s all in how you brew it).

Thanks Shadetree, exactly what I needed.

As Shadetree implied it is the process that determines the outcome of a recipe not the source of the recipe. I can guarantee that if you and I both bought the same kit from NB and we each brewed that beer “according the the instructions” on our own systems, we would have recognizably different beers. I’m not suggesting whose would be better, just that they would be different even though “on paper” they are supposed to be the same!

For example, I have a Cal Common All Grain recipe that I love. The first time I made it, I got several medals in various large competitions because that beer was awesome. Unfortunately, I have tried to brew it 2 more times since then and the results have not been as nearly as good. I don’t mean the re-brews were infected or off flavor in any way just that all 3 versions are significantly different beers when tasted side by side. How come? Because I realize I do not have the necessary consistency in my process to duplicate a beer every time. I’m working on that consistency and I will consider myself an excellent brewer if I ever get there.

Bottom line, the brewer makes the beer not the recipe.

[quote=“Duxx”]Bottom line, the brewer makes the beer not the recipe.[/quote]Well, the brewer makes the wort, the yeast make the beer. :wink:

Yes, but the yeast needs the brewer to introduce it to the wort. :wink:

Yes, but the yeast needs the brewer to introduce it to the wort. :wink: [/quote]

Yeast, meet wort. Wort, meet yeast.

[quote=“Denny”]
Yeast, meet wort. Wort, meet yeast.[/quote]

LMFAO!

Unless you just leave the fermenter sitting out in the yard for a while. Brewers spend most of their time trying to keep things out of the wort.