Patersbier - Step Mash?

I’m brewing the patersbier later this week. It calls for a multi step mash as outlined below. I’ve read in a couple of places in this forum from some very credible sources that a protein rest is not worthwhile and can actually be detrimental to the beer. I just wasn’t sure if that advise was relevant to all types of beers or just the ones being discussed. So for the Patersbier should I just follow plan B?

TRADITIONAL MULTI STEP
Protein Rest: 135° F for 15 minutes
Beta Sacch’ Rest: 145° F for 35 minutes
Alpha Sacch’ Rest: 165° F for 25 minutes
Mashout: 172° F for 5 minutes

MASH SCHEDULE: OPTION B
SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 147° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

I do the single infusion, but extend it to 90 min. to ensure complete conversion at the lower temp.

That’s what I’ll do then! Thanks Denny!

Will it hurt to do a 80 or 90 minute mash with any type of grain? Will a longer mash time improve efficiency?

It might improve efficiency a bit, but that depends on if you’re getting full conversion already. See Kai’s site for info on how to determine that. It will also improve fermentability a bit.

Thank you! I did a 80 minute mash on the American wheat the other day, after the fact I was wondering if I really messed it up.
Can you lead me to Kai’s site? Never heard of it.
BTW, thanks for the help with the water. Ward lab looking pretty good

[quote=“Bier brauer”]Thank you! I did a 80 minute mash on the American wheat the other day, after the fact I was wondering if I really messed it up.
Can you lead me to Kai’s site? Never heard of it.
BTW, thanks for the help with the water. Ward lab looking pretty good[/quote]

Www.braukaiser.com

Thank you Dannyboy! I will check the site out later this afternoon.
Brad

I just made this several weeks ago and did the single infusion at the lower temp for 60min. Turned out great.
I had some issues with not meeting volumes with new equipment so I am actually brewing this beer again this Sunday to make sure I work out the kinks. But this time I think I will try the longer mash too. I’ll let you know.

[quote=“timtim”]I just made this several weeks ago and did the single infusion at the lower temp for 60min. Turned out great.
I had some issues with not meeting volumes with new equipment so I am actually brewing this beer again this Sunday to make sure I work out the kinks. But this time I think I will try the longer mash too. I’ll let you know.[/quote]
The step mash seems like it would be fairly easy with BIAB, I chose to mash for 90 minutes at 147. Put the sleeping bag over the kettle after 30 minutes and kept the temp right on for the whole mash. Boiled it for 90 minutes as well. Got great efficiency and volumes.

I must be entering something incorrectly in BrewSmith because I consistently get upper 80-low 90% for brewhouse efficiency doing BIAB. I do sparge with a couple quarts and then squeeze the living crap out of the bag. It’s probably the way I have my equipment setup or the way I entered my volumes. Don’t really care just hope for good beer!

The yeast, 3787, kicked off in a couple of hours with no starter and now appears to be winding down after a week. That yeast really churns things up in the fermenter and definitely needs a blow off hose. Even with the blow off setup I had krauesen and foam up in the neck of the 6.5 gal carboy. I’ll give it another week or maybe 2 as the hydrometer tells me. I’ll brew the Number 8 and rack onto this yeast cake.

I plan to keg this beer. Would it benefit from some aging in the keg before drinking? I know they all do but would this one any more than the average ale?

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I must be entering something incorrectly in BrewSmith because I consistently get upper 80-low 90% for brewhouse efficiency doing BIAB.[/quote]Certainly possible to get efficiencies in the 80s and even 90s with this method, especially if the grain bill is light or you minimize the wort absorption by sack squeezing - assuming 100% conversion, efficiency is just pre-boil volume divided by the mash volume.

This is exactly what I did this past weekend. Starch tests were solid purple at 45 minutes, so I extended out to 90 and finally got down to trace purple. I had some volume issues, but I think I may be over-estimating mash/lauter efficiency and therefore using too little grain.

Cheers.