Patersbier Extract Recipe

Cooked up this kit about three weeks ago and used the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity. Read that the fermentation gets done quickly, after about a week, and not to leave it on the cake for more than three weeks. So, I left it in the primary for two full weeks, and then over to the secondary, where its been for about 1.5 weeks. Gravity reading at transfer to secondary was 1010, after a week in secondary it was 1007, and I’m still getting a regular flow of small bubbles in the airlock.

Was hoping to bottle on Monday after two weeks in secondary, but wonder if I should with the airlock activity and the gravity still going down after 3.5 weeks between the fermenters. When is this yeast gong to stop eating? What risks are there if I bottle with a little activity still going on in the airlock?

Remain patient and throw in another week. Not what you want to hear but better than having to pop one with a flak jacket on :expressionless: You could check gravity 1/2 way throught the 3rd week as well.

That yeast is a monster. I made the same beer 2 months ago and it is easily one of my favorite home brews to date. So simple yet so complex because of that yeast. I rinsed the yeast from the Patersbier and used it for a Belgian Tripel which went from 1.092 down to 1.010.

Let it sit another week and take readings 3 days in a row. If they are the same it’s done.

You’ll love that beer!

Dobe12:

Thanks! I did the same thing. Cooked up the Patersbier and then harvested the yeast for a 1080 hybrid of Unibroue’s Trois Pistoles and La Fin Du Monde. I pitched half the cake, and its working away right now.

Well, looks like I’ll have to wait a bit. Monday will be 4 weeks, and I’m going away, so I wanted to bottle it and let it carb up while gone. With such a low og, and such an aggressive yeast, I can’t figure out why it is taking so long to finish the fermentation.

I brewed my Patersbier in July. I had it in primary for 14 days. OG was 1.047 FG was 1.012 After 9 days in secondary I saw some spots and decided to bottle early. In hindsight it was probably yeast floaters. After 15 days in the bottle I tried one and it was very good. At 22 days and after even better. Of my 4 finished brews it is my second favorite. I like my Extra Pale Ale a bit better.

I also harvested the yeast and brewed a Belgian Dubbel partial mash that I created by looking at NB’s extract recipe and online recipes. The yeast in that one kept going like the Energizer Bunny. It is now in secondary for a month. Can’t wait.

Brewed this kit a couple months ago and just tapped into it last night. It is an exact clone of the beer a friend and I were drinking in a small pub just outside of Baarle-Hertog, (Netherlands), a few years ago when we were rambling around that part of the world. Dug out my tasting notes from the trip and it is spot on. Glad to find a recipe to match as it brings back good memories.