Patersbier Carbination

Hey guys,

Have had the Patersbier in the secondary for almost 2 weeks now. Tasted great when I sampled it green. Plan to bottle soon. I usually use the NB priming sugar calculator. For this beer I would probably use the “belgian blonde 2.9” setting. However, on their website it says:

Note: If you wish to achieve a level of carbonation similar to the commercial examples of this beer, add an additional 1 to 2 oz plain table sugar to the priming solution.

Anyone know why table sugar? Let me know, thanks.

• Jeff

[quote=“jeffsmietana”]Hey guys,

Have had the Patersbier in the secondary for almost 2 weeks now. Tasted great when I sampled it green. Plan to bottle soon. I usually use the NB priming sugar calculator. For this beer I would probably use the “belgian blonde 2.9” setting. However, on their website it says:

Note: If you wish to achieve a level of carbonation similar to the commercial examples of this beer, add an additional 1 to 2 oz plain table sugar to the priming solution.

Anyone know why table sugar? Let me know, thanks.

• Jeff[/quote]

I would guess it’s because it’s cheaper than corn sugar, and more convenient than buying another batch of corn sugar.

I don’t like gushers. My advice: Don’t add any extra sugar.

I use cane sugar to carbonate all my stuff. It’s cheaper and it takes less. No taste diff at all.
Brewers Friend site has a calculator for this. I’m with Dave on this as I would not add more sugar to it either.

I just bottled a batch of Patersbier, and I used 2.9 as the carbonation level when priming (used the yeastcalc.co calculator as opposed to the one on NB’s site). Turned out perfect, with a nice 1.25" - 1.5" frothy white head. Wouldn’t change a thing, you definitely don’t need to add extra sugar.

I had real bottle-to-bottle inconsistency in my batch of Patersbier. (It was only the second batch I’ve brewed.) The ones that were really well carbonated were excellent. The ones that were less carbonated I wasn’t as fond of. (Conditioning temperature was a rock-solid, steady 72 degrees F. The primary fermentation temperature was 64 - 66 degrees F.) If I brew this again I’m going to add extra bottling sugar and condition it for at least six weeks before I open the first one. That’s my experience. Your mileage may vary…