Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Patersbeir

Brewed NB’s all grain Patersbeir on 6.17 and transferred to keg about 15 minutes ago.

OG was 1.064 and FG was 1.004. That makes it slightly over 8% ABV. More than I was expecting as it finished quite a bit lower than expected. Could that have been because of pitching more yeast (3787 slurry from my Dubbel) than maybe necessary ?

Overall, it has a nice taste, a bit dry, slight warmth in the aftertaste as well as a slight sweetness says SWIMBO.

To those that have brewed this, does this sound about right?

:cheers:

94% attenuation is pretty amazing, was your gravity sample a little warm? I suppose you mashed at 150F or less for a more attenuative wort? Belgian beers tend to be pretty dry, they call this digestible. I don’t think the extra yeast resulted in your attenuation, its strictly a matter of how much dextrins are in the beer and that is a function of the mash.

I haven’t brewed the beer myself so I can’t say if this result is normal, I’d guess you’re on the lower end of whats typical.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]94% attenuation is pretty amazing, was your gravity sample a little warm? I suppose you mashed at 150F or less for a more attenuative wort? Belgian beers tend to be pretty dry, they call this digestible. I don’t think the extra yeast resulted in your attenuation, its strictly a matter of how much dextrins are in the beer and that is a function of the mash.

I haven’t brewed the beer myself so I can’t say if this result is normal, I’d guess you’re on the lower end of whats typical.[/quote]

Gravity readings were corrected for temperature. OG was 1.062 at 77F corrected to 1.064. FG was 1.002 at 78F corrected to 1.004.

And yes, mash was below 150. In fact, 90minutes at 148F.

cheers

That mash schedule is definitely a recipe for a well attenuated wort. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the product as is.

Temps got me good, lol.
I thought my patersbier (1.043)and a blonde (1.068) both went down to .002,
Till I remembered they were ~80 degrees.
Duh. Thought I had an infection that made 97% attenuation rocket fuel for a minute.

Good point, I didn’t notice paterbier was supposed to be 1.046 OG. Maybe the OP’s OG wasn’t that high? It’d still be high attenuation but the product wouldn’t have the potential to be quite so hot as far as the alcohol was concerned.

You’d need nearly 100% efficiency to get 1.064 from 9lb of malt in a 5gal batch. And it’d take a pretty large reduction in volume to get that high an OG.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Good point, I didn’t notice paterbier was supposed to be 1.046 OG. Maybe the OP’s OG wasn’t that high? It’d still be high attenuation but the product wouldn’t have the potential to be quite so hot as far as the alcohol was concerned.

You’d need nearly 100% efficiency to get 1.064 from 9lb of malt in a 5gal batch. And it’d take a pretty large reduction in volume to get that high an OG.[/quote]

Actually, 3 gallon recipe, 6lbs of grain w/ 1.67qts/lb in the mash and another 9qts for the sparge.

In my 5 gallon tun, I routinely get 80-90% efficiency. It’s crazy. But, I think part of the reason is the small grain bill and relative high water/grain ratio although I know others go as high as 2qts/lb.

cheers

Gotcha, thats about 90% efficiency.

Why did you brew it at the higher gravty? I see patersbier is supposed to be a somewhat lower ABV beer. although suppose compared to a dubbel or tripel it is lower ABV!

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Gotcha, thats about 90% efficiency.

Why did you brew it at the higher gravty? I see patersbier is supposed to be a somewhat lower ABV beer. although suppose compared to a dubbel or tripel it is lower ABV![/quote]

TBH, it wasn’t intentional. I simply forgot to water it down. Because of the high efficiency, I normally will add water back so as to get the OG closer to expected. Just wasn’t thinking this time.

What I really need to do is recalculate the grain quantities to account for the higher efficiency rather than simply cutting a 5 gallon recipe to 60% for 3 gallons.

:cheers:

Careful, a few of those could put you too drunk to monk.
Mine tastes potentially good,
I cut the pils back some and got it back to S.G. with a # of honey.
I tried one so far, alas it was probably only halfway to the targeted 3.2 volumes. Give it a couple more weeks.
Seemed nicely biscuity, dry, with some nice esters.
Should really pop when it gets carbed all the way.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com