Pasteurizing juice

Now an interesting thing happened. I have apples that come in at different times so i pasteurized the juice and store it in a keg with some pressure. Today i went to open the keg and it had built up alot of pressure and smelled of fermentation. Odd right. I figured must have been some leftover yeast in the keg although i washed

How did you transfer it to the keg? With all the bacteria/yeast floating around it would almost be impossible to transfer it in sanitary conditions. Did you sample any?

Just dumped it in so i guess it could have picked up something. I tasted it and its still sweet and appley no carbonation in solution. Im not worried threw in some montrachet yeast so it should out compete anything

1 Like

Another thought came to mind- perhaps the juice cooled even further thus causing a vacuum. When I clean my corny kegs I do the following I recirculate hot PBW through them all before cleaning my reservoir to sanitizer. In between I place the lids back on to keep bacteria, dust, etc from falling in. Due to the keg naturally cooling I have to relieve pressure to get the lids off.

Well maybe but it had the sulfur smell that you get from cider. Im pretty sure it was starting to fermemt. I probably got sloppy with cleaning the keg. Usually not a problem putting fully fermented beer in and chilling. But storing sweet juice at room temperature guess i need to be more thorough

1 Like

Maybe contamination from the dip tube brewcat?

I don’t think its a contamination more of an inoculation. Its fermenting away nicely in a carboy now. Itv had jugs of juice start spontaneously fermenting and grape juice as well and still made good product. I’ve no problem pitching my yeast and out competing any wild yeast or leftover yeast. I have zero concern about a contamination problem

1 Like