Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Partigyle Math help

So I’m doing an 11.0 batch of beer with 35.75# of grain @ 70% with a expected OG of 1.086 before adjuncts.

Maris Otter: 34.0#
Melanodin: 1.0#
Chocolate: 0.75#

I also would like to do a 5.5 gallon partigyle brew with 3rd runnings. What would be my expected OG of that 5.5 gallon batch.

Not sure how to do the math.

Thanks,
muddy

(Weight in Pounds * (Max PPG * Efficiency) / Gallons) =

Assuming 100% efficiency for the 11 gallon batch:

(34 * (38 * 1.0) / 11) = 117.45454545454545454545454545455
(1 * (37 * 1.0) / 11) = 3.3636363636363636363636363636364
(0.75 * (29 * 1.0) / 11) = 1.9772727272727272727272727272727

= 122.79545454545454545454545454545 = 1.123 @ 100% efficiency

= 122.79545454545454545454545454545 * 0.7 = 1.086 @ 70% efficiency

Assuming first run of 11 gallons is 70% efficient a second run of 5.5 gallons with the remaining 30%:

(34 * (38 * 0.3) / 5.5) = 70.472727272727272727272727272727
(1 * (37 * 0.3) / 5.5) = 2.0181818181818181818181818181818
(0.75 * (29 * 0.3) / 5.5) = 1.5954545454545454545454545454545

= 74.086363636363636363636363636363 = 1.074 @ 100% efficiency on second run

= 74.086363636363636363636363636363 * 0.7 = 1.052 @ 70% efficiency on second run

Assuming you get 70% efficiency on your second run you’ll end up with 5.5 gallons of 1.052 wort.

This is a good read, if not just to get the hang of PPG calculations:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... acting.pdf

Thanks a ton. And thank you for showing me your math so I can try to understand it for future attempts.

If you’re giving out free math advice, do you mind if I jump in here too? When trying to understand the equations above the numbers begin to swirl and I get light headed. I need to drink a beer and lie down… while I do… do you mind telling me what I’ll get from the 2nd running of this?

4 gal batch
60% eff (estimated)
18lbs MO
OG 1.103

Hoping to use the second runnings for a 5 gal batch of a session strength pale ale.
This is my first parti-gyle attempt and am kinda shooting from the hip here.

[quote=“dobe12”]If you’re giving out free math advice, do you mind if I jump in here too? When trying to understand the equations above the numbers begin to swirl and I get light headed. I need to drink a beer and lie down… while I do… do you mind telling me what I’ll get from the 2nd running of this?

4 gal batch
60% eff (estimated)
18lbs MO
OG 1.103

Hoping to use the second runnings for a 5 gal batch of a session strength pale ale.
This is my first parti-gyle attempt and am kinda shooting from the hip here.[/quote]

(18*(38*1.0)/4) = 171

= 171 = 1.171 @ 100% eff
= 171*0.6 = 102.6 = 1.103 @ 60% eff @ 4 gal

(18*(38*0.4)/5) = 68.4

=1.068 @ 100% efficency

68.4*0.6 = 41.04

= 1.041 @ 60% eff @ 5gal

I think that should be right after looking at his TJ example math

learning new shit is awesome.

I need to lay down again… but thank you!

If that math works out, it’s perfect! I’ll add maybe a lb of cane sugar and hop it up with some citra and I’m good to go.

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“dobe12”]I need to lay down again… but thank you!

If that math works out, it’s perfect! I’ll add maybe a lb of cane sugar and hop it up with some citra and I’m good to go.

Thanks for the help![/quote]

you could always add some crystal malt as well to give you some more color and flavor. That is what I plan to do.

We are doing 11 gallons of a scotch strong ale, with adjucts. Here is the recipe with the sugar additions. And it will actually be slightly darker. We plan to roast 2# of the maris otter.

Wee heavy
Strong Scotch Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 11.0
Total Grain (lb): 37.750
Total Hops (oz): 3.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.093 (°P): 22.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 9.68 %
Colour (SRM): 20.7 (EBC): 40.8
Bitterness (IBU): 20.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill

34.000 lb Maris Otter Malt (90.07%)
1.000 lb Cane Sugar (2.65%)
1.000 lb Melanoidin (2.65%)
1.000 lb Treacle (2.65%)
0.750 lb Chocolate (1.99%)

Hop Bill

1.00 oz Nugget Pellet (8.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Willamette Pellet (7.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 154°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 65°F with Safale US-05

Then we plan to add some crystal malt and maybe something else and make a 5.5 gallon brown ale.

Glad I could help and even more so that you’ve learned to do it on your own.

I think partigyle runs are often less efficient, as such 70% may be a tad high depending on your process.

[quote=“TJHatchit”]Glad I could help and even more so that you’ve learned to do it on your own.

I think partigyle runs are often less efficient, as such 70% may be a tad high depending on your process.[/quote]

Are you talking about the first batch efficiency or the second?

What should I do the efficiency on the second?

[quote=“muddywater_grant”][quote=“TJHatchit”]Glad I could help and even more so that you’ve learned to do it on your own.

I think partigyle runs are often less efficient, as such 70% may be a tad high depending on your process.[/quote]

Are you talking about the first batch efficiency or the second?

What should I do the efficiency on the second?[/quote]

The second batch efficiency.

You’re essentially saying that you’ll get 70% of the remaining 30% of the sugars.

My guess would be 50% - 60% of the remaining sugars may be a safer bet, but it’s hard to predict because it’s based off of your process. You just might get 70% or higher, which would mean you’re extracting 90%+ of the entire sugar content of the grain.

Definitely not impossible, just didn’t want to mislead you.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]I also would like to do a 5.5 gallon partigyle brew with 3rd runnings. What would be my expected OG of that 5.5 gallon batch.[/quote]If you mean you want to do a regular batch-sparge for the first beer and then run 5.5 gallons of water through the grain for “third runnings”, here’s how to calculate:

OG of the second runnings will be 1.038 (based on 37.75 lbs grain, 75% eff, 1.093 OG for 11 gal batch, equal volume sparge), leaving a total of 37.75 / 8 = 4.7 gallons of 1.038 wort trapped in the grain. (you divide the total grain weight by 8 to determine gallons of wort in the grain)

Now you add 5.5 gallons to the mashtun and you end up with a gravity of [(4.7 / (5.5+4.7)] x 38 = 1.018 or so in the mashtun, so you’d get 5.5 gallons @ 1.018 into the kettle. (the wort in the grain is diluted by the addition of the water by a ratio of the original wort to the total with the water)

Shadetree’s math looks right to me.

If you really mean third runnings then simply repeat the equation:

Assuming your second runnings were 70% efficient you’d then have 9% of the total sugars left in the grain:

(34 * (38 * 0.09) / 5.5) = 21.141818181818181818181818181818
(1 * (37 * 0.09) / 5.5) = 0.60545454545454545454545454545455
(0.75 * (29 * 0.09) / 5.5) = 0.35590909090909090909090909090909

22.103181818181818181818181818182 = 1.022 @ 100% efficiency
15.472227272727272727272727272727 = 1.015 @ 70% efficiency

So that’s 5.5 gallons of 1.015 for third runnings @ 70% efficiency.

You can also do something similar to what ShadeTree did supposing 0.1 gallons per pound are absorbed by the grain:

(Absorption Rate * Pounds of Grain) / (New Water + (Absorption Rate * Pounds of Grain)) * Remaining Gravity.

The initial OG calculation is 1.086 @ 70% efficiency or 1.123 @ 100% efficiency so you’d have (1.123 - 1.086) = 1.037 left in the grain thus:

(0.1 * 35.75) / (5.5 + (0.1 * 35.75)) * 37 = 14.575757575757575757575757575758

or about 1.015.

Both methods work out the same (with the right numbers).

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com