Paralysis by analysis

Beersk, I did it a few times. First time, I wasn’t paying attention and bought a plastic braid, had to replace it (fortunately before first use, but it was good practice!). The second time I cut a series of holes in the inner tube and reinserted it with the idea it would help me avoid crushing the braid. Third time was when I decided to hell with avoiding a crushed braid, I’ll make another one if that happens :wink: . Actually, it was more because I was worried (aka, paranoid) about what flavors/toxins the inner tube might impart.

[quote=“Beersk”]Thanks, Denny. :slight_smile:
I think I’ll try it out. Just need a 1/2" barb for my bulkhead and I’m set. Oh and hack sawing off the ends of the hose. That might be somewhat of a challenge.[/quote]

I use a hatchet and chop it off…pragmatic, baby!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Beersk”]Thanks, Denny. :slight_smile:
I think I’ll try it out. Just need a 1/2" barb for my bulkhead and I’m set. Oh and hack sawing off the ends of the hose. That might be somewhat of a challenge.[/quote]

I use a hatchet and chop it off…pragmatic, baby![/quote]
Damn! The one thing I don’t have!

brew day evaluation, feel free to critic
Recipe:
Farmhouse biere de Table.
8lbs. Belgian Pilsner
.5 lbs Gambrinus honey malt
Hops 1oz tradition
Yeast Wyeast 3725
Targets Mash 151 mash out 168 pre boil volume 6.5
Actual
Mashed 2.75 gallons and got a mash temp of 151 to 152.
at 30 minutes I stirred the mash, why I don’t know it seemed like the thing to do. temp. dropped to 144 where it stayed until mash out.
Added 1.25 gallons of boiling water. Raised temp to 161 for 5 minutes.
Dang!
Drew off a little over 2gallons on the first run. yes, I miss read my new depth gauge( stick with notches) forgot each mark was 1 gallon instead of 2.Dang it!
Added 3.25 gallons of 178 degree water and my second run got me pre boil volume of 6 gallons.
boil went well with a post boil volume of just under 5 gallons at 1.038 OG missing target by .005. Brewhouse eff. of 59.7% Dang it again, but I think I still made beer which only time will tell.
start to finish including cleanup 4.25 hours.
I will not stir mid mash again, I will not stop my first run prematurely, and I will not stir my digital thermometer with probe into my mash so it doesn’t short out. Duh! Thanks and be gentle in your criticism.

Sounds to me like you’re on the right track, just need to get used to the process. The low efficiency was most likely from mashing low for not long enough AND having the grains milled at the homebrew shop.
Don’t worry yourself to death, just get used to the process, refine it, and keep brewing beer.