Pale ale recipe

I screwed up an order to NB so now I’m gonna brew a pale ale instead of a lager, how’s this sound?
1lb extra light carastan grain steeps til 170 deg
6 lbs Pilsen extract
1oz cluster (60 mins)
.5 oz Columbus (15 Mins)
.5 oz centennial (15 mins)
.5 oz Columbus (5mins)
.5 centennial (5mins)
Safale us-05 ale yeas

With exception to the bittering hops, that is exactly the same ingredients as in the Shining Star Pale Ale kit that NB just started selling.

J

Ya I’m very new to all this, I ordered pieces to make a nice pilsner lager but, after reading a lot online, I realized it wouldn’t make a decent lager. I then stated trying to find something I do with the ingredients I orders. I really debated on using the 1lb of Vienna malt instead of the pale ale malt I just ordered. Would this make a darker pale ale?

1lb Vienna malt
6lb Pilsen extract
1oz. Cluster hops (60 mins)
.5 oz of Columbia and centennial (10mins)
.5 oz of Columbia and centennial (0 mins)
Safale us-05 ale yeast.

This is my third batch and I’d love to not ruin a 5 gallon batch

[quote=“jafstl38”]I really debated on using the 1lb of Vienna malt instead of the pale ale malt I just ordered. Would this make a darker pale ale?[/quote]You’ll have a lower FG, and a lighter-colored beer with the Vienna instead of the Carastan, but you have to mash Vienna (simple to do, just steep in a half-gallon of water at 150F).

Steep for 1 hour? Then do I jut add 2 more gallons and boil like normal?

Mash for one hour, put the grain bag in a colander, open it up to expose grain, and pour the two gallons of water through the grain to rinse out the sugar. Then proceed as normal.

Awesome thanks man I appreciate it, big learning process here