Paging Ken Lenard: Q regarding HRR

Ken,

my HRR lager (fermented with 2206) has been lagering for approx 5 weeks at 36-38F. What is your recommendation for optimum time for lagering this batch?

cheers.

Ah good question, I’m at 1.5 weeks with 2124, will be interested to get Ken’s take. Enjoyed the gravity sample at kegging by the way, looking forward to trying the finished product in a few weeks.

I would probably have no issues putting on tap at 4 weeks so by 5 weeks I think you’re good. All of my lagers sit in secondary for a week or two (at basement temps) and eventually end up in the fridge to lager further and then they go to a keg & get carbed where they may sit for another 1-2 weeks (cold) while they wait for an open tap. But if I looked into my “on-deck” fridge and saw a 1-month-lagered keg of HRRL, I wouldn’t hesitate to serve it. Cheers.

Ken,
thanks for the info. I don’t “need” to tap it yet and Iam a patient guy. I’d really like to tap it at it’s optimum time since I’ve never brewed one like this. So if optimum is 5 weeks, so be it. But if longer is optimum, i can wait. i really want to hit this right.

bob

4-5 weeks will be great. I can’t really say what optimum is for any of my beers to be honest. I have lagered an Oktoberfest for 5 months and released it on the day that the real Oktoberfest started in Munich and you know what? It was good. But it would’ve been good in July or August too so I wouldn’t get too hung up on “optimum” or “perfection” when it comes to aging. I could see it if the beer was ultra-hoppy and you wanted just the right amount of smoothness but you didn’t want the hops to fade but that’s not what we’re talking about here. I would say that 4-6 weeks of lagering is fine and if it were only 3 or as many as 8, I wouldn’t be concerned. Cheers.

sounds good…release the hounds!

cheers

I had a brewer on another board tell me that he had the Home Run Red Ale on tap and that it was vanishing fast and he was going to make it again. That prompted me to get the ingredients and make a batch myself which is just about ready to go to secondary. I also recently made my Corner Tap Lager and Hacienda Lager both of which are now cold in kegs. The last batch of Home Run Red Lager I made was with 2782 Staro and it was dynamite. Release the hounds indeed!

Cheers.

I’ve had both my mex lager and HRR in kegs lagering for the past 4.5 weeks or so. gonna crank up the CO2 today and get these puppies moving along.

cheers Ken, for the guidance and recipes.

bob

Just poured my first glass. OMG, this beer is f’n awesome.

very mild, very smooth…you want to take big gulps and chug it down, pour another, repeat!

ken…thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe!!!

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Just poured my first glass. OMG, this beer is f’n awesome.

very mild, very smooth…you want to take big gulps and chug it down, pour another, repeat!

:cheers: [/quote]
Cheers, my friend. Enjoy it. :cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Just poured my first glass. OMG, this beer is f’n awesome.

:cheers: [/quote]

+1, my batch has only been in the keg for 3.5 weeks, but I was downstairs moving some kegs around last night and decided it was time to at least try a sample…very good beer, going to leave it alone for another week or 2 until a tap opens up but definitely looking forward to drinking this one. Thanks for the recipe!