Pacman

Since I haven’t been able to find this yeast locally, I went and purchased a bomber of Rogue’s John John Ale. Since it’s supposed to be bottle conditioned with Pacman yeast, I thought I’d give a shot at culturing it for my upcoming Dead Guy clone.

Well, it worked! After 4 days and a few step ups it’s growing well. Happy to have this yeast on hand and though I’d share the success story with those who are looking to do the same thing.

I in fact, have been thinking about trying this for some time! Great news. I am likely going to make a Ned Rye-rson Rye IPA on Groundhog day, and am going to give Pacman a shot, as I’ve heard great things. I’d be particularly interested to how it compares to US-05, which is my go-to neutral yeast.

I’ve had the best luck culturing Pacman from Shakespeare stout. Rogue filters very few (like almost none!)O of their beers, so it should be in most of them. The lower the OG of the beer, the healthier the yeast will be.

I had read that most people have good results using Shakespear, but unfortunately my local beer stores didn’t have it. I hadn’t heard of anyone online even trying the John John, so I figured I’d add it to the list of successes.

A lady next to me at the store was looking at me like I was crazy since I was holding the bottles up to the light to see which ones had the most sediment. :lol:

[quote=“Redloh69”]I had read that most people have good results using Shakespear, but unfortunately my local beer stores didn’t have it. I hadn’t heard of anyone online even trying the John John, so I figured I’d add it to the list of successes.

A lady next to me at the store was looking at me like I was crazy since I was holding the bottles up to the light to see which ones had the most sediment. :lol: [/quote]

I got this look and a polite reprimand from the store owner when I was doing this with Chimay bottles. “They’re all going to be in relatively the same condition. In case you’re worried.” :lol:

Have fun with that yeast, in my experience it will chew the crap out of everything and anything that you throw at it.

WOuld somebody walk me through the steps of doing this? I’d love to try it. Im assuming its just starting out with super small starters and yeast nutrient.

This would be my first step :cheers:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+harvest+yea ... ial+bottle

You got it. That’s all I did and nature did the rest.

FYI to anyone that is interested. I keep this yeast in my yeast bank. I need to make new agar slants in the next few weeks. I can send a slant of this yeast and save you trying to grow from a bottle.