P H Testing

Outside of buying a PH Meter, what else can be used to test the PH of Star San? I really do not want to invest in a PH Meter at this time. Looks like everyone uses either a MW102 or a Hanna.
Just trying to find out if there is an alternative.

You could just use your eyes. I toss my jug of Star San solution when it gets too cloudy or I see anything floating in it. I have in the past done pH checks, and found that by the time it gets above 3.0, it is VERY cloudy looking. But I’ll admit that this method only works if you are very careful not to allow it to get diluted with additional water.

If I used the cloudiness test, I wouldn’t be able to save Starsan for longer than 30 minutes.

For just testing StarSan, you can use cheap pH strips. Although not accurate enough for mash testing, they’re fine for StarSan.

You must have hard water. I guess I just haven’t had to deal with that.

Again, no idea what this means, but Star San is always cloudy when I mix it right away. I’m guessing part of my ongoing pain with a water softener?

Anyway, the odd part is when I put Star San into an airlock and CO2 bubbles through it, it gets crystal clear. Weird.

You must have hard water. I guess I just haven’t had to deal with that.[/quote]
I do. Starsan is cheap enough that I usually make up a fresh batch every time I brew. Sometimes I’ll keep it for a week if I know I’ll be brewing or kegging a batch soon.

I always keep on hand a spray bottle made with distilled for day-to-day things (switching kegs, hydrometer sample, etc.).

You must have hard water. I guess I just haven’t had to deal with that.[/quote]

I don’t have hard water, but StarSan will always be cloudy within 1/2 hour of mixing. But the pH is still fine.

[quote=“uberculture”]Again, no idea what this means, but Star San is always cloudy when I mix it right away. I’m guessing part of my ongoing pain with a water softener?

Anyway, the odd part is when I put Star San into an airlock and CO2 bubbles through it, it gets crystal clear. Weird.[/quote]

I noticed this too. the batch I mixed was definitely cloudy and when I put in the airlock it was clear. Didn’t think much of it but it is strange.

[quote=“ed_brewer”][quote=“uberculture”]Again, no idea what this means, but Star San is always cloudy when I mix it right away. I’m guessing part of my ongoing pain with a water softener?

Anyway, the odd part is when I put Star San into an airlock and CO2 bubbles through it, it gets crystal clear. Weird.[/quote]

I noticed this too. the batch I mixed was definitely cloudy and when I put in the airlock it was clear. Didn’t think much of it but it is strange.[/quote]
Two likely causes I think:

1. A tiny volume of liquid tends to appear clearer than a large volume of liquid.
  2. You are probably storing the large volume of Starsan in a container that limits the ability of light to pass through the liquid (e.g., a bucket), unlike the airlock which is clear.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“ed_brewer”][quote=“uberculture”]Again, no idea what this means, but Star San is always cloudy when I mix it right away. I’m guessing part of my ongoing pain with a water softener?

I noticed this too. the batch I mixed was definitely cloudy and when I put in the airlock it was clear. Didn’t think much of it but it is strange.[/quote]
Two likely causes I think:

1. A tiny volume of liquid tends to appear clearer than a large volume of liquid.
  2. You are probably storing the large volume of Starsan in a container that limits the ability of light to pass through the liquid (e.g., a bucket), unlike the airlock which is clear.[/quote]
    I wonder if the added carbonic acid (from the escaping CO2) has an effect? If someone has a pH meter and measured the solution before and after use in an airlock, that would be interesting to know.

It usually takes a day or so before my star san solution gets cloudy, but the cloudiness is pretty mild. I’ve got soft water. It tends to get cloudier with repeated use.