Oxygen intake when cold crash primary

When did those plastic mesh things on CO2 tanks become a thing and why? The last tank I swapped out was replaced by one with it on. I assume it is to keep tanks from banging into each other and eventually ruining them.

EDIT: I Googled it and that is what the “cylinder netting” is for. “Cylinder Netting helps to Protect Against Damage Caused During Shipping and Handling”

2 Likes

And I’d believe it isn’t as noisy…
Sneezles61

After having another aggravating session kegging a dry hopped double IPA And having to break out the auto Siphon in mid transfer, Because a large floating hop pellet got lodged in the tubing, resolved to do something different.

So dry hopping with Lupulin dust would appear to be the way to go, as I’m not convinced that the cold crash with CO2 capture method would completely eliminate the possibility of a hop floaty getting stuck in the Narrow tubing.

Anybody use the stuff yet at the homebrew level? And I wonder how expensive it is, I’ll have to look that up.

I will say that I have no problem using CO2 transfer for two lagers recently. Zero problems. It appears to be isolated to dry hopping.

So, again, anybody use lupulin dust yet??

Never tried dust…
BUT… I see there are mesh tubes that fit down throat of a carboy… yet the auto siphon fits inside the mesh tube…
Now, I think back to Coonmanx conversation’ in regards to “priming” in the keg… O2 would be consumed…
It really worth trying that adventure… Saving CO2 isn’t a bad side effect either…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Lots of homework to do, I will look into the mesh tubes, thanks. Obviously something has to change for dry hopped beers with my set up, If I am to do CO2 transfers.

1 Like

Is this what u referred to? I think it might work if I could get it secured to the narrow tube that picks up the beer in my setup pictured above. Maybe a oetiker or similar clamp …

If you have a hop spider you can just submerge that in your fermenter and use that as a filter barrier for your siphon. Hop spider then is a dual use doohickey.
From my spigot tube it just attach a cheese cloth sack with lots of extra room and usually takes care of all the dry hop that gets through

1 Like

…also an excellent thought, thanks!

1 Like

Yes… I believe it’ll be long enough it can sit on or close to the bottom (not wanting to stir up the sediment) and the top is just above the spout on a better boy/carboy…
Sneezles61

Take a look at Utah biodiesel’ offering on this… They have a few different ideas that’ll get yer thinking… Thinking! :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

1 Like

So I bought the Racking Cane Filter gizmo above, but haven’t racked yet so we’ll give it a go.
Approaching the suck-back problem in a different way is this PLAATO valve thing from NB. Anybody see this?

I’m thinking it would still allow air ingress…but maybe one of you mechanical types may set me straight…I’m a College of Arts and Sciences guy :joy:

1 Like

OK, just looked… It will allow O2 back in (ingress)…
I do not know of any way to stop that, except by allowing CO2 being the ingress gas of choice…
Not much help, eh?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Following up on my earlier post, for those of you who are transferring big hoppy brews with CO2, the racking cane filter works great.
Just transferred Plinian Legacy #10 to keg……With hops floating all around in the fermenter, it worked fine. It was dry hopped free range and had a metric ton of hops on Brewday including flame out whirlpool etc.

2 Likes

Funny… reading the descriptors… fast and free shipping… you’ll have it by November! :joy:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I know…I’ve had it quite awhile now! I’ve used it successfully multiple times with less hoppy beers, but I was snakebit on the hoppier brews due to no fault of the filter! One time the CO2 tank ran out during transfer, another time I forgot to vent the purged keg first and a big surge of CO2 backflowed into the fermenter with a vigorous disturbance of sediment, and so on…all dumba$$ attacks on my part :joy:

So bottom line this works…and I’ve nimbly avoided having to cold crash DIPAs prior to racking to keg.

1 Like

You’ll never develop a procedure with doing… Thats a fact… Jack! :joy:
Sneezles61