Overpitching Discussion

Pitched .062 on a 1/2 cake of 05 today. Started perking just shy of 2 hours. Don’t have any of that penguin tape though

1 Like

When you rack off the cake brew 10 gals. When you’re ready to rack the beer off brew 10 gals more and you’ll have the yesat for it.

A little followup observation. Yesterday the krausen in the US-05 beer (1.055, brewed 4/13) began to fall while the WLP001 beer (1.064, brewed 4/12) continued to gradually build and eventually required a blowoff. By yesterday evening the krausen had fallen enough on the US-05 beer that I could put an airlock on it and move it out of the cold area into the 65 degree area. I Just checked it an it’s now at 65 degrees and seems to be very controlled. The WLP beer only pushed a small amount out the blowoff and appears to be gradually dropping. Not quite ready to move it to the 66 degree area yet.

1 Like

There are times when one might want to under pitch to develop some of the more interesting yeast contributions (ie Saisons). I tend to over pitch most of the time and have not witnessed any ill effects. I did my first 50 batches repitching some or most of the trub. I have now switched to making 1.5 liter starters, saving .5 of the starter for the next starter and pitching the 1 liter remaining. I switched to this method because I feel like it preserves the yeast characteristics for more generations than pitching the trub and I’m too lazy/messy to top crop.

1 Like

I now have 2 Anvil fermenting buckets… That makes top cropping a breeze… Sneezles61

1 Like