Over-carbonation

Good morning folks,

So I only recently got into brewing and through a couple of attempts it’s been great fun. There was just one issue I encountered that I would love some feedback on.

I brewed a batch of the Carribou Slobber and it ended up coming out over-carbonated. I’m pretty sure I’ve determined the cause of that (too much sugar), so I’m not super worried about fixing that mistake (my second batch of John Palmer IPA turned out much better).

My question is this: is it possible to fix the Carribou? As it stands, it isn’t violently foaming anymore, it’s just a slow consistent foam that still makes it difficult to drink without making a mess. Any suggestions? I’ve been keep it refrigerated for about the past three or four weeks now, and while it has helped a little, it’s still a bit tricky. All part of the learning experience I suppose :slight_smile:

Thanks for any input!

I don’t know any tricks now that you are at this point, just open them and let them sit a few minutes to slow down before pouring. I use the website Brewers Friend which has great calculators for carbonation and IBU’s, just lots of good info. Don’t feel bad you are right about the learning experience
and we all go thru it, hang in there. Cheers!

I’ve been brewing and bottle conditioning for 16 years, and every once in a while (not too often anymore) I still get an overcarbonated batch. It happens. Best thing to do in these cases? Pour into a pitcher or oversized glass, then stir to get some of the excess carbonation out, then pour into a regular glass and enjoy as normal. Unfortunately it is a 2-step process, but hey it works. Once you tune in your priming sugar calculations, this won’t happen much anymore. Just learn to use less than the recipe specifies or whatever.

You can release some of the CO2 by lifting the edge of the cap, will often need to be done multiple times. Do this while the beer is chilled to prevent foaming. This could be done twice a day when the beer is chilled. Immediately reseal each of the bottles to prevent possible contamination.
Laying a quarter over the cap will prevent creasing it with the opener.

I had a batch of porter that overcarbed. Since they weren’t gushers, I would just open the bottle, leave it in the fridge for about 30 minutes, then pour. Apparently during the half hour in the fridge, it off-gassed enough to pour normally. Worked pretty well. Good luck!

Ron

I appreciate all of the responses! I’m definitely interested in brewing it again and hopefully getting the carbonation levels correct.

Thanks for all the help!