Outdoor propane burner suggestions?

Wife starting to fuss about my brewing in the kitchen. Gonna have to move my operation outdoors. Any suggestions on a great , but cost effective outdoor propane burner ? I live in a small town in Alabama but we do have a sears , lowes , and walmart close by.

check graigslist for a turkey fryer setup. If not watch walmart for them i got mine for 50% off

I feel you will be happy with any of the set ups from the stores you mentioned. They usually have a low pressure regulator on them. So they don’t push out the gas. They bring water up to a boil in a timely fashion. No need to waste gas.

Look for one with a 30+ quart pot. 28qts is just to tight. 32 is better, but very hard to find. Aluminum pot are fine. Many of us use use one.

Also look to see if the burner will accommodate a different pot. Some have a raised edge so only a pot of the same diameter as the stock one will work, unless you have the tools to modify it.

Going to a full boil, you will need a chiller. Check the prices online and then see what the cost of copper is at the stores. You might be able to make one for less than purchasing a pre made one.

Thanks alot !!

I picked up my turkey frier from Home Depot on sale for about $50. I then sold the pot to a friend for $20 since I already had a nice stainless one. does just fine. Look for one that doesn’t have a timer or Google how to bypass the timer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

I have this one it ships for free

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=2843

[quote=“chuck”]I have this one it ships for free

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=2843[/quote]

I use this as well.

I bought a Turkey Fryer from homedepot as well love it.

Get a turkey fryer with the most BTUs you can find. At least 30000, 50000 if you can find it. Then think about getting a 40 qt pot and doing algrain or full boils. you might need to make some mods to your burner to get a 40 qt pot to sit right on the flame.

Just ordered a burner ( Bayou classic ) from home depot via the link posted. I appreciate the help greatly !! Any special settings or adjustments needed to be made to this burner prior to brew day ?

-----Next on my list 40 qt brew kettle

Yes, there is an adjustment. I just upgraded from an old 200K BTU kajun kooker to the SQ14 so I can speak with some authority. You will need to adjust the air intake for a nice blue flame. Only takes a few minutes. Double check the rest of yer fittings while yer at it. You might want to grab a long grill lighter to light the thing if you don’t have one already. Also, heads up you will burn off some of the paint with first use so consider a short test boil or just be prepared for some stink at first.

Best thing I ever did was take the brewing out of the house. Enjoy the burner!

[quote=“zwiller”]Yes, there is an adjustment. I just upgraded from an old 200K BTU kajun kooker to the SQ14 so I can speak with some authority. You will need to adjust the air intake for a nice blue flame. Only takes a few minutes. Double check the rest of yer fittings while yer at it. You might want to grab a long grill lighter to light the thing if you don’t have one already. Also, heads up you will burn off some of the paint with first use so consider a short test boil or just be prepared for some stink at first.

Best thing I ever did was take the brewing out of the house. Enjoy the burner![/quote]
Great information ! Thanks for the heads up. I’m really looking forward to brewing out of the house. Maybe then i can stay out of the dog house for making the house smell like a hop factory. Smells great to me , but not so much to the wifey :slight_smile:

I’ve got the Bayou burner as well. Works great. It was nice brewing my hefeweizen out in the sun on my deck this weekend. From what I have been told it can easily boil during winter temps too. I will find out this winter but I am in no rush. As far as adjusting it I just open the air intake all the way and keep the propane flow to where you can’t hear it roaring. At first I thought that having it roaring meant it would boil faster but it seems that having a nice solid blue flame instead of a loud roar works much better.

I’ve boiled 4 gallons in my garage as far down as 20 degrees without a single issue, so I’d say thats true.

Aren’t most of these burners used with high pressure regulators? I’ve read that people have problems with the propane tank/line freezing up before it goes empty? I have a cheap turkey fryer burner and it works well enough, its on a low pressure regulator.