Out of DME, short starter tomorrow or just pitch?

So due to some epically poor planning on my part, I am out of DME and Fast Pitch and am planning to brew Off The Topper tomorrow with Omega DIPA yeast. Looking for an opinion on whether I should try to whip up a starter tomorrow for a couple hours before pitching (LHBS opens at 11 so best case I could pitch yeast in starter by noon) or if I should just set the pack out a few hours before temp stabilizes at 65 and shake and pitch the pack? If I start my brewday around 1 I normally pitch around 9-10 depending on temp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:beers:
Rad

I’m guessing with a DIPA it would be an under pitch. If you wait and make a starter tomorrow it won’t have much time to build up your yeast count. If your going to the brew store just pick up another tube of yeast

1 Like

What size batch?

Do you have some extra grains to make a starter wort tonight or early in the morning?

1 Like

You can just get Malta from the grocery, open a couple and let them go flat, and use it for a starter. I have done it and it works but not as well as DME or Fast Pitch.

Any idea what the SG is on this Malta product? What about adding some yeast nutrient to it?

I had no basic grains, only random smatterings of specialty grains so I just stopped at my LHBS and grabbed a pack of DME. I got it on the stir plate around 12:30 so we’ll spin it up for 8 hours or so and see how it goes.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Harvest and never worry about starters.

Simple… Boil a quart of water… add 3/4 cup table sugar… if you have some yeast nutrient, add it too… cool and pitch yeast… Sneezles61

I believe its 1.060 so you might want to cut it with some water to get it closer to 1.040. There is some junk in it other than malt though. High fructose corn sugar for one so in a pinch it works but I would not use it all of the time. There are other brands besides Goya so perhaps there are more pure choices. i will have to read the labels I guess.

The yeast nutrient can’t hurt any but I rarely use it.