Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Oud Bruin - Secondary needed and other sour questions

I am new to sour beer making and I have a few questions. I have a dedicated siphon, tubing and air lock just for sours( anything plastic). Do I have to have a dedicated carboy as well? My carboys are glass.

Some people say that you want to keep it in the primary to keep in contact with the yeast cake, but the directions show a secondary. I don’t want to have to dedicate 2 carboys to the sour cause. I don’t have room.

Lastly, the brewsmith podcast on sour beers say that oxygen is harmful to some of the bacteria and you should not aerate your beer before you pitch. Is this right? I’m using the Oud Bruin (AG) recipe from NB with the Roselare blend from Wyeast.

Thanks for your help from this sour newby!

Hi, I’m new to Oud Bruin as well and going to try my first batch, so take what I say with limited value.

From what I’ve read, I don’t think glass needs to be separately dedicated to sour beers, as it is easier to clean (plastic containers have non-visible scratches). However, wtih the time requirements of an Oud Bruin (1 yr), you may want to just to get a second batch going.

Can’t help with your other questions. Sorry.

I’m on my first Oud Bruin as well, just transferred to secondary last week. From my understanding aerate as normal when you pitch the yeast, but a lot of oxygen contact while aging can increase acetic acid (vinegar) in the final beer.

I don’t rack my sours off the yeast cake and haven’t had any negative flavors from it. And yes you can clean glass, I’ve been successful at cleaning plastic buckets for that matter.

You could always get a food grade bucket, rack into it then clean your carboy and rack back.

TRaditionally, lambics are left on the yeast (in wooden barrels) and reds/bruins are racked off of the yeast cake for conditioning in gigantic barrels. I am certain there are exceptions to this.

I believe you should rack it off of the primary. Flanders Red Ales are aged in large oak tuns and get some vanilla/oak notes from the wood. Oud Bruin is aged in stainless vessels and tastes maltier and sweeter. Both beers have an acetic character. I do not think you need to oxygenate the beer when you put it into secondary. The acetobacter will use the oxygen that is already there. Just put some plastic wrap over the carboy to let the air and acetobacter pass through. If you did not want to sour the whole batch, you could sour a gallon or so and add the sour beer in at bottling time. It will continue to get more sour, but the young commercial examples I have tasted seem only mildly sour.

Unfortunately sours do take up a lot of space. You can either invest in some used carboys when you go to garage sales, or just buy commercial sours when you see them. I love sours, but don’t drink them that often so I usually just buy all the Rodenbach I can when I travel to a state that sells it. Fortunately most sours don’t oxidize which is why I can store them well.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com