Back to Shopping at

Ordering partial mash/ which yeast

I’m planning on ordering the NB , John Palmers Elevenses partial mash. I’ve only got four brews under my belt and all have been with a dry yeast. Just wondering what would be the optimal yeast for this recipe should I chose one of the options, order my own, go dry, liquid… Here’s a screenshot of the recipe and yeast options

Liquid yeast requires a little more care than dry yeast. Even though this beer is a low OG beer I would suggest making a starter. This will ensure viability as well as get the yeast ready for their job. Dry yeast is packaged with glycogen and other nutrients in reserve to so they can quickly start fermentation, liquid yeast loses that, hence the starter.

Starters don’t have to be tricky. In fact, I’ve regressed into a much easier starter. Here’s an easy, effective, and preferred (by myself, as well as many others including @denny)

  1. get a gallon jug (even plastic will work!). Clean and sanitize it
  2. boil 1L of water and add 100g of DME (just like an extract batch)
  3. cool the wort in an ice bath
  4. pour it into your gallon jug
  5. Shake the $h!+ out of it until it is completely foam
  6. add liquid yeast

That’s it! Do this about 12 hours (you have some wiggle room) before brewing. The idea is to pitch at high krausen.

Read through the yeast descriptions and decide which one you want.

I have also been doing this with good results…with new yeast and harvested…works great!!

Go with the S-04. It will give you one less thing to worry about. Then mess with liquid yeast and starters after you have worked out any other kinks IMHO. It’s English ale yeast anyway.

I wouldn’t worry about rehydrating the S-04 either. With an OG of only 1.046 just sanitize the scissors and packet then sprinkle it on top of the wort. Some of my friends here may not agree with that though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The first time I used dry yeast I poured the yeast on top of the froth inside the carboy created by aerating. When I checked on it a couple hours later there was a growing pile of yeast on top of the remaining froth. I swirled the fermentor to get the yeast down into the wort. This may not happen when using a bucket that has a much greater surface area to sprinkle over.

Sprinkling the yeast dry is like hydrating with wort inside the fermentor, rather than in a cup of warm water outside the fermentor. Swirl the fermentor after a half hour to mix the rehydrated yeast into the wort if it remains on the surface.

Back to Shopping at