Ordering NB LME question

I’d like to line up a bunch of extract brews for this spring. I want to take advantage of the ‘case’ price of 6pnd bottles of LME but I don’t want to order all of the same variety. I’d like to get 2 bottles of Gold and 4 of Amber. The price doesn’t go to the discounted case price when I enter them into my shopping cart.

Just wondered if anyone else had placed an order like that and got the discounted rate. Maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and order all of one type. Most of my previous batches were Pilsen. Just thought I’d see what some of the others turn out like.

This is exactly the situation that customer service departments exist for. Get in touch with them, I’d bet they can help.

ha… already done and awaiting an answer. I only asked here on the forums because you often get a faster response from someone else who’s been in the same situation or placed a similar order.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious though. :cheers: (sorry if that sounded crappy. I just reread this post and noticed that. It wasn’t meant to be)

Here’s the answer I got back from NB regarding this matter, just in case anyone has this similar question in mind and happens to read this post:

We currently only have the ability to offer the six pack discount on single varieties of malt extract. We’re looking forward to offering mix & match on the deal in the future, but we have some technical hurdles to clear on the IT side of things before we can offer a mix & match six pack. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you’ve got any other questions.

When I brewed extract I would always use the lightest extract I could get. You are inherently going to have some uncontrollable unfermentables in extract so the theory is to use light extract and get your color/flavor from your steeping grains.

[quote=“robotninja”]When I brewed extract I would always use the lightest extract I could get. You are inherently going to have some uncontrollable unfermentables in extract so the theory is to use light extract and get your color/flavor from your steeping grains.[/quote]This is good advice. The darker the extract the more unfermentalbes it will have, leaving your beer with higher FGs. By using the lightest extract you have a clean slate and more control over the color and flavor profile of your brews. For instance there’s lots of ways to make an amber beer, you could use crystal rye, crystal malts, special B, caramunich malts, small amounts of roasted malts, etc. and they would all lend different flavors.