Ooops! Did a starter with dry yeast

Today, I brewed a speckled heifer. After reading the forum, I now know that I shouldn’t have made a starter using dried yeast (safale us-05). Even though the starter got good fermentation going for a couple of days, I’m still not seeing anything in the way of fermentation in the 5 gallon batch that I made today (it’s been about 7 hours). I realize that more time could produce some results. Next time I won’t aerate my dry yeast or do a starter, but for now, I wanted to know if I’m past the point of fixing the problem.

It’s not a problem most likely, and a 7-hr lag isn’t a bad thing. US-05 is a strong yeast, so it’ll kick in.

RDWHAHB! Active fermentation can take up to 72hrs to start, though usually will start within 12-24hrs. Don’t sweat a 7hr lag time. Things are happening and you just don’t see it.

Why is it bad to make a starter from dry yeast?

From what I’ve read on these forums, it’s unnecessary, and you also don’t have to oxygenate the wort when using dry yeast either. I got all of this from another post and the danstar website.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=111043 http://www.danstaryeast.com/frequently-asked-questions

Thanks. I’ve only done about 10 batches, and in every one of them, the yeast started within a few hours. I think I started getting concerned because I started reading about not making starters with dry yeast.

The yeast has started showing signs of life. I’ve got a slight bit if krausen (sp?) on top. Would it be a bad idea to pitch another packet of dry yeast, or should I just wait and see?

Thanks. I’ve only done about 10 batches, and in every one of them, the yeast started within a few hours. I think I started getting concerned because I started reading about not making starters with dry yeast.

The yeast has started showing signs of life. I’ve got a slight bit if krausen (sp?) on top. Would it be a bad idea to pitch another packet of dry yeast, or should I just wait and see?[/quote]
I wouldn’t waste your money on another packet. Like shadetree said, US-05 is a beast. You should be fine.

I’ve read some info on here about yeast nutrients added throughout the primary fermentation. Any opinions on this? I’ve actually started getting a good krausen now, and it’s bubbling much better. I added four teaspoons to the fermentation. First time I’ve ever used yeast nutrients, but I’ve read many recommendations to use it.

i think the yeast nutrient was unnecessary, but as long as it was sanitary i don’t think it will hurt. It should be a low gravity beer. like mentioned above, Relax dont worry have a homebrew. let it be