One Step Cleanser BUILDUP?

I just recently started homebrewing. Within the last 4 weeks I’ve noticed if I leave the mix (1tbs/gal) in glass or plastic bowls or the caraboy, and actually even the hose, for more than a few hours it turns milky with a powdery build up. On a glass and plastic bowl I even had to scrub pretty hard to get it off. The little speck of powder (I assume) were rock hard and stuck on the containers.

First, has anyone else had this issue? I dont see anyone complaining about this issue anywhere.

And second, should I be worried about it causing issues with future batches if I dont get it all off? (i.e. the inside of my hose)

Thanks in advance! And the product I’m referencing is this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/one-step.html

I get that with oxy-clean free, especially if I soak things for a long time. The good news is that a soak in a weak vinegar solution takes it right off, and I’d expect it would do the same thing with one-step. Are you using well water with a lot of alkalinity?

Star-san is also acidic, so it should take any residue off as well. Are you using one-step as a cleaner and sanitizer? If so, you might want to switch to star-san.

Yes, it does happen with to long of a contact time. Oxyclean will also leave a residue. I use PBW now. I have soaked bottles and glass carboys in PBW for days without a residue buildup, but my other equipment I limit to two hours. Two hours is sufficient time for PBW to loosen crud. I had tried Oxyclean, but it leaves a slippery film that needs heavy rinsing and wiping. I switched to PBW because I didn’t want to chance leaving the slippery film inside a carboy.

Resoak your equipment in the solution for two hours. Might dissolve the buildup.

Thanks guys! I will try resoaking for a time.

I do use city tap water, which does have high PH, that’s alkalinity, correct?

Do you think that because, in fact this stuff sanitizes, that if I don’t get it off it will kill my next batch of yeast?

I’m really wanting to start my second batch! :cheers:

I really don’t trust the stuff as a sanitizer. Any time you have to rinse off a residue, the surface is not sanitized anymore. Cleanser, sure. But I wouldn’t rely on it for a sanitizer.

What you are seeing is calcium carbonate precipitating out of solution due to the peroxide in oxyclean. Mixing 3 lbs of oxyclean with 1 lb of TSP substitute (available in the paint department of most hardware stores) should prevent this. I have incredibly hard water and this mixture in a 1 tsp/gallon of water left for many months remains free of calcium precipitates.

You could also try Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash. It’s got the same alkaline components found in PBW, has a ton of active cleaning oxygen release, and has been designed to perform well in hard water. There are agents in the powder that prevent the calcium carbonate (chalk) build up common with other oxygen based cleaners.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... oduct.html

Cheers!

[quote=“CraftMeister”]You could also try Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash. It’s got the same alkaline components found in PBW, has a ton of active cleaning oxygen release, and has been designed to perform well in hard water. There are agents in the powder that prevent the calcium carbonate (chalk) build up common with other oxygen based cleaners.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... oduct.html

Cheers![/quote]
I might have to give this a shot and see how it compares to other products. I also wanted to say kudos for being upfront that you are with CraftMeister. Often companies attempt to pass off shameless plugs. Thanks again!

[quote] CraftMeister wrote:You could also try Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash. It’s got the same alkaline components found in PBW, has a ton of active cleaning oxygen release, and has been designed to perform well in hard water. There are agents in the powder that prevent the calcium carbonate (chalk) build up common with other oxygen based cleaners.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew">http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew</a><!-- m --> ... oduct.html

Cheers!

I might have to give this a shot and see how it compares to other products. I also wanted to say kudos for being upfront that you are with CraftMeister. Often companies attempt to pass off shameless plugs. Thanks again![/quote]

I hope you like the product. Please let me know what you think!

Cheers!

I used One Step for years to sanitize and never had a problem. I switched to Star San only because it is easier to use and doesn’t leave that residue on everything. The bucket that was my dunk everything in container has almost a sandy feel on the inside from One Step.

One Step still works great for cleaning though. It removed “beer stone” from my SS conical with an overnight soak and light scrubbing that would not come off for anything.

I have used CraftMeister oxygen brewery wash several times. I think it is a Awesome cleaner.

I’ve used Oxyclean and PBW. I get kind of a slippery film with both. Not as bad with PBW, but still there.

I only use them for cleaning though, and rinse thoroughly after they are done. For sanitizing, I always use StarSan.

:cheers:

Thanks for your support!